Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cobraholic
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen in mustang magazines where they sell rearend assemblies and driveshafts. Has anyone skipped the "donor" and just purchased these parts new? If so, how much more do you estimate you spent versus time saved. It seems as if it would save a lot of headache if there's not much of a price difference. Everywhere I look, people think their '87 Mustangs with lowly four cylinders are worth 3 or 4K!

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
A LOT of people here buy all new. This is called going "non donor".

I went with a 1990 donor for $3,000 because it had a new long block with 8,500 miles on it and other new parts.

The donor takes about 80 hours to completely disassemble if you are a novice like me.

The problem is, like you noticed, the donors are going for big money.

Also, MANY donor parts need to be replaced or rehabed. Rotors, drums, pads, probably clutch flywheel, pressure plate, and maybe radiator, gas tank, steering rack. I don't think Ford engineered these parts to last more than 20 years so you'll find yourself replacing a lot of things.

Alternatives to the magazine ads:

Factory Five has a good list of parts.

Vendors here such as Mike Forte specalize in these cars and know what you need.

Factory Five has the "all new" pricing now if you have the money to spend.

Places like Craigslist.com are great for parts because you can get them locally - as opposed to Ebay, where the part might be across the country.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
They days of the $1000 donor are gone 3-4k seems to be the least you can pay. If you cant find a v8 car it's definately not worth it .Core engines can be had from any Ford with a 302 -/351 because your going to rebuild it anyway and trash the heads and intake . You'll need to rebuild the rear (parts cost more than a new unit ) .Unless you find a Really Really clean low mileage car it's probably not worth it . But a new carb wiring harness to wire the car , if you want efi there are kits out there with harnesses etc. I used like 6 donor parts pedal assy, the tremec trans , the hopped up axle housing and some small bits. High mileage donor = high$$ in rebuild costs. Bob

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
I had originally planned to go with a donor but, after seeing the same prices that you are, I decided that if I was going to spend that kind of money, I might as well have new stuff.

Just remember, whatever budget you had in mind is blown the minute you buy the kit (or maybe the minute you open up this forum). I had originally planned to build a $30K car. That grew to $50K and I'm now pushing $60K. Not saying it can't be done for $20-30K, but it's going to be tough and you've got to have some great self control. :D

As other's have mentioned, check with Forte, Levy, Breeze, etc. Good luck!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
I also went all new from forum vendors and T&L engine and dont regret it. Even with body and paint from another forum vendor, I have a very nice build for about 38K and;
I dont have lots of parts to strip and clean
Dont have a carcase to get rid of and neighbors to upset
Know the provenance of all of the parts when Im clogging the loud pedal
Steve

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just went with one of the new "complete" kits, I had been considering a donor for 6 months but couldn't decide what year, etc. I didn't feel that I wanted to spend half of my time taking somthing apart, cleaning and refurbishing it and still not being sure it was 100% ready to install. Also, I would not like a completely stock set up anyway and I don't have the background to intelligently pick and choose where to modify my engine, etc. I plan to use an Engine Factory 351w 400hp with their bell housing, clutch, flywheel, and Tremec trans with the forward mounted shift. Sure it costs more money but it sounds well engineered and is a turn-key deal. They run the engines before they crate them. Others are incompletely assembled and from what I have read in the forum sometimes incorrectly assembled. I want reliability from the first start.

·
Non-supporting member
1,164 Posts
Joe, have you called Jeff at Whitby Motorcars yet?
He can get you everything you need. His prices are in-line also. Better yet, take a day off and go up to visit him. You'll be able to see different builds at different stages.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
I started a partial donor build with picking up the T-Bird rear end for the IRS components. After a lot of hassle getting the right parts and quite a few hours dis-assembling and cleaning, then still not having the final product I was happy with, I scratched the whole donor idea. Cut my losses with the rear end componenents and bought new everything.

Much easier to just order and have the correct part that is ready to install.

Mike M.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Here is an example of an EzePak Master (TM) kit.
This is for 3-link carbureted. IRS and EFI configurations are also available.

http://www.breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=546&cat_id=37

You can order it all at once or order parts as you need them to keep up with your build progress. Our configurations are also completely flexible so if you already have an item or a different component you want to use we will revise the configuration to match your needs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts