Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
6,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started looking around for the caliper mounting plate bolts for my FRPP 8.8. Seems it doesn't come with them, and they're special order from the ford dealerships.

I bought a pile of nuts/bolts from Mark Reynolds, so I figured I'd give him a buzz.

Here's the response I got from Mark:

"We currently don't offer them...Get 3/8-24 x 1 1/8" grade 8 bolts and stover all metal lock nuts...Hope that helps, and thanks for thinking of Breeze." - Mark Reynolds, Breeze.

Now THAT is customer service. :D

Ozona

[ September 01, 2002, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Ozona ]

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
FRPP=ford racing performance parts
BE warned, the stock bolts are MUCH stronger than grade 8 from what I have been told, and I believe they are metric. They are 12.9 grade I think? :confused: :D

·
Senior Charter Member
1,521 Posts
I got what appeared to be a new Ford Racing rear end from someone on Corral.net. Mine also did not have the bolts, and I was pissed at the guy until I found out that this is how they came. I got my boltes from Mark Reynolds, but in the end, I think the threaded bolts would work just as good. In fact, I had picked up some bolts and was originaly planning on using those. The bolts provided by Ford (Breeze) had an odd shapped head on them and quite honestly do not provide much surface area where they mate. I do think the odd head is meant to grab against the axle to make it slightly easier to tighten the bolts. (Actually, there is a tab on the nuts for that, the odd size head, I do not know why it is there.)

As far as the grade of the bolt, it is important to remember that some of these are metric bolts, and that is a metric grade. I think 10.8 is the equivelant of a grade 8, but do not hold me to that.

-Tom

·
6,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom's right.

Also, the flange that they bolt through is not all that strong. If it was made out of Ford "Indestructium" then I'd worry about it.

The original style bolts have tabs on the heads, as the robots can't hold the back and turn the front (so to speak). The tab grabs on its own.

The grade 8 stuff @ Ace hardware here in Naperville has the same markings and appearance of the grade 8 stuff that came with my 3 link.

Hopefully that indicates it's a quality piece and that it's not all crap. :D ;) (Just kidding)

Thanks for the info, I wanted to post that so if someone else goes looking for those flange bolts they could get an answer.

I spent less than $5.00 for all of the bolts, nuts, and lock washers at Ace.

Bill

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi,
Are you guys looking for the "T" bolts to attach the backing plate? I have a box of 100 of them.
Mike Forte
781-273-9900

·
Senior Charter Member
1,521 Posts
Ozona,

Where did you get your rear end from? Is yours the wider rear end or not (SN95, ABS gears on it)? Are you going to narrow yours?

Tom

·
6,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tom:

I got my 8.8 from FRPP through Jegs.

Mike Forte has the best price on them (forgot to ask him about his) that I've seen.

I went for the 3.55 gearset as I have a tremec 3550 trans.

FRPP P/N: M-4006-B355

The same one w/ 3.73 is M-4006-B373

It should be and appears to be "Fox" mustang width, not SN95.

Be aware that these come from Ford with a TERRIBLE paint job on them, about 85% coverage with really serious drips. Be prepared to strip it if you're a neat freak.

Bill

P.S. No, not planning on narrowing it.

[ September 01, 2002, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Ozona ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts