Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

Although not a forum vendor, several of us have purchased E7 Powerheads from the company in Wildomar, CA. I purchased mine Feb 14, 2007, and received them about a month later. I was quoted a price of $1100, and $200 of it would be returned to me as a core charge when I sent back my stock E7TE heads.

Long story short, "Ralph", the owner of Powerheads, took receipt of my core heads on April 3rd, 2007, and to date, despite many phone calls, voice mails, and emails, has not returned my $200 core charge. At one point last week, I got into a mild argument with him over the phone; he claimed he had already performed the credit to my credit card, but it had not hit my bank account. I don't think he beleived me.

At this point, it's not about the money, but the principal. He has given me every excuse about being busy, not having much help at the office, etc, etc; a credit takes about as long to complete as it took me to type this paragraph.

The Los Angeles BBB is now involved, trying to help me reclaim my money; we both believe "Ralph" is taking advantage of the fact that I live 2500 miles away in Kansas.

At any rate, I just wanted to let you all know what kind of guy "Ralph" is, and to let you know what you may be in for if you do business with him. It's odd, as many folks here have had repeated success with Powerheads, and I have nothing bad to say about his product, but his customer service is absolutely horrible.

Even after leaving him a voicemail yesterday, letting him know I would be contacting the BBB and letting 12,000 of my closest friends on this forum know about his horrible customer service, he still ignored me.

Let the buyer beware.

P.S. I placed this post in the main Roadster forum for more exposure, since these heads are designed for the engines we typically put in the Roadster.

-Greg

[ May 02, 2007, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: gbranham ]

·
Senior Charter Member
6,104 Posts
Call your credit card company and see if you can dispute the charge. I don't know if there is a time limit or not but it is worth asking.

I have gone this route several times with companies that fail to live up to my expectations. It usually takes a little while to resolve but ultimately you can prevail. I think in every case the credit card company first sides with the vendor but when you stick to your guns they relent.

I had one case where I was charged for a hotel room in someone else's name and that person actually signed for the room. The credit card company didn't even bother to look at the receipt they sent me. It clearly had the other guys name. But, eventually I prevailed. (In that instance the travel agent had used my card when she booked the other guy's room.)

·
FFCobra Fanatic
7,022 Posts
I am glad as a consumer your voicing your unacceptable experience with a buisness. To many times we just take what we get and move on. Customer service in this counrty has been getting worse and worse....... That is not to say that many buisness will correct a mistake, but to many times there atitude sucks. Take it or leave it....... As a paying customer you shouldn't have to demand to receive the product or service you payed for. Or get a full refund in a timley manner.

Good job Greg.
John

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I'll get my money, I'm sure of that. It's just the principal of it that drives me absolutely freakin' nuts! I'm having a similar issue with a landscaping company, and they are about to get a local BBB chapter "sicked" on them, too! What the hell is wrong with people these days?

I just wanted everyone on this forum to know what they could expect if they purchased these heads. Good heads, by the way. Great price, too. Customer service kills it; I'd never, EVER buy from this guy again.

Say, do any of you live in Wildomar, CA? ;)

·
Premium Member
12,326 Posts
As USMC said, call your credit card company. Tell them the situation and ask them to credit back the $200. They'll then seek the $$ from the vendor at no cost to you. I haven't done this for a "refund" type situation like yours but for disputed charges the CC companies are usually pretty good. I waited a couple months on my ordeal and they came through for me with minimal work on my part.

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, again. Like I said, I've no doubt I'll get my money, as there are a few avenues I can take at this point to reclaim it. I just wanted everyone on our forum to know the company's level of service, to avoid a potentially frustrating experience.

I used a VISA check card, which feeds right out of my checking account, so my Bank can and will credit me the money at this point, and then go after the merchant, as Dagster stated. I just wanted to spare our fellow members the frustration in the future, hence the purpose for the thread.

·
Registered
202 Posts
hey... i hope you get your money from the guy, but what keeps him from telling the BBB that the core you sent him was no good? All core charges are refundable given the core sent in is rebuildable. your kinda stuck.. there is no real way to prove what exact set of heads you sent him even if you did have proof from a machine shop saying they were rebuildable. I wouldnt hold my breath too long..

·
Finally starting!!!
480 Posts
What did you buy? Worked over stock heads? I'm just curious as that's what it sounds like you spent $1100+ on. Why not just got buy some aftermarket ones for that much dough? Just curious, and good luck getting your money back.

·
Land Shark!
4,668 Posts
Originally posted by Dagster:
They'll then seek the $$ from the vendor at no cost to you.
Correct, no cost to you. Guess who gets to pay the dispute fee, regardless of who is right/wrong? The vendor...

Originally posted by usmc2683553:
I think in every case the credit card company first sides with the vendor but when you stick to your guns they relent.
It is the exact opposite Bob. The first thing they do is hit the vendor with a dispute investigation fee which runs anywhere from $5 (Rare) to $35 (more common). Regardless of who is at fault, the vendor gets charged and there is no recourse. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

The next thing they do is remove the funds from the vendors bank account. You usually get a notice in the mail a few days after this has occurred. No prior warning, no recourse, bam, money is gone. Visa/MC holds the money until the dispute is resolved.

Once the dispute is resolved, whomever wins gets the money. If it's the consumer, it didn't cost them anything. If it's the vendor, regardless of the outcome, they are still out the dispute resolution fee unless they can get it out of the consumer. Guess how likely that is?

In my case, I lost a $35 dispute fee over an $18 credit card sale, all
because a dumb-ass customer didn't remember buying something. :rolleyes:

Greg, sorry to dump this in your thread and I hope it works out
for you, I just wanted to add some CC dispute info...

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting. One of my first conversations with "Ralph" regarding the core charge was very positive. He said he rec'd my cores, and they looked fine, so he would be crediting me my money.

Like I said, some local guys have had great luck with Powerheads and their service, so it sounds like my situation is a bit out of character.

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
***UPDATE***

I just called my bank, and had them inititate a dispute for the core charge. I gotta believe between the BBB and the Bank, they'll get the job done for me.

Sheesh!!

·
Senior Charter Member
887 Posts
Thanks for the HEADS up... Hope it all works out for you.

CalHusker

·
5,559 Posts
Greg, good luck with your dispute. I have to ask why you would spend so much on ported stock heads when you could get some really nice Edelbrock or TFS aluminums for the same money?

Brian

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update!

Guess what showed up in my bank account? Yep, my money! I guess either my bank or the BBB got ahold of him.

As to why I bought these heads:

They have similar flow rates to some bigger-buck heads, and (minus the core charge), they are only $850.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Good deal that this worked out for you. I've only ever done one dispute with my CC company and they were awesome (but my opinion may be biased since I won). Someone swiped my card number and ordered a bunch of pizza's. :rolleyes:

I used a VISA check card, which feeds right out of my checking account
FWIW, I would never order something remote or over the internet using this type of card. If someone steals your acct #, they'll suck your bank account dry. Sure you may get it back but you may have to deal with an empty account and the potential hassles that could cause. Much safer to use a pay-later card for those types of transactions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All:

Although not a forum vendor, several of us have purchased E7 Powerheads from the company in Wildomar, CA. I purchased mine Feb 14, 2007, and received them about a month later. I was quoted a price of $1100, and $200 of it would be returned to me as a core charge when I sent back my stock E7TE heads.

Long story short, "Ralph", the owner of Powerheads, took receipt of my core heads on April 3rd, 2007, and to date, despite many phone calls, voice mails, and emails, has not returned my $200 core charge. At one point last week, I got into a mild argument with him over the phone; he claimed he had already performed the credit to my credit card, but it had not hit my bank account. I don't think he beleived me.

At this point, it's not about the money, but the principal. He has given me every excuse about being busy, not having much help at the office, etc, etc; a credit takes about as long to complete as it took me to type this paragraph.

The Los Angeles BBB is now involved, trying to help me reclaim my money; we both believe "Ralph" is taking advantage of the fact that I live 2500 miles away in Kansas.

At any rate, I just wanted to let you all know what kind of guy "Ralph" is, and to let you know what you may be in for if you do business with him. It's odd, as many folks here have had repeated success with Powerheads, and I have nothing bad to say about his product, but his customer service is absolutely horrible.

Even after leaving him a voicemail yesterday, letting him know I would be contacting the BBB and letting 12,000 of my closest friends on this forum know about his horrible customer service, he still ignored me.

Let the buyer beware.

P.S. I placed this post in the main Roadster forum for more exposure, since these heads are designed for the engines we typically put in the Roadster.

-Greg

[ May 02, 2007, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: gbranham ]
Unfortunately I have just found this comment after researching this company. Back in Feb 2016 I paid $13090 for an FIA approved 289 RR engine. By May 2016 I still had not received this motor, communication from Ralph was next to zero, never answered the phone or Emails.

Concerned I contacted my bank to have the money returned to me as I had a fear that he was scamming me. I live in the UK so the time difference was also an issue. To cut a long story short, I managed to have $7,000 returned but after contacting, or should I say 'attempting' to contacting Ralph he just told me in his own way to 'F' off and that he would not be sending the engine or returning the out standing money.

My advice is be very cautious is you want to do business with this guy, he has stolen my money and is a thief. Due to the engine not being supplied on time, my race team has now lost all sponsorship and probably will not make next years season.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,417 Posts
I just looked on Yelp and they have one bad review. You should leave a review too.

Www.yelp.com if you've never used it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts