Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
393 Posts
Butcher,

I saw the attached ( Holley Truck Avenger ) and remembered an earlier "story" where you had experimented with the vent tube to cure a hard acceleration problem. (Click on the picture in the Holley link to see the description.)

I know that these cars are not supposed to be off-road vehicles, but the physics are similar.

You can tuck this in your fuel system notes.

/s/ A Fan

[ September 02, 2002, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: CobRat ]

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey CobraRat

the holley truck avenger is where I copied the tube from :D I found it on their site and decided to give it a try. The tube did not cure my problems. Grover the engineer believes my problems are stemming from the fact that my holley is mounted backawards. Holley says this is not a problem sicne people mount carbs sideways and other ways on drag cars but now I tend to believe this is the cause. I had believed that the carb was symmetrical but it is not really under acceleration and braking conditions...braking out G-forces acceleration. On a normal set up, under hard acceleration, the primary gets all the gas loaded onto the wall where the jets are and the secondary gets gas loaded to the float area. Under heavy braking, the opposite is true and the secondary gets tons of fuel on the jet wall and the primary gets tons of fuel on the float. Since the fuel loads the secondary wall, and the float is usually a little lower on that side, nothing bad happens. In my reverse set up, I believe that the gas was climbing the primary jet wall and then flooding the system by travelling out the vent overflow tubes. I am still a little hazy on what exactly is occuring :D I plan to test two fixes when I'm up and running again. 1) set the primary float level lower. 2) place the carb on normally with primary up front. I orginally flipped it because I was able to obtain a much smoother throttle cable throw.

·
Vendor
8,399 Posts
Ya know EFI cars don't have that problem....I just happen to have a nice 351W manifold...
BTW, Always a great read aboout your adventures in shortblocking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.