Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Junior Charter Member
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've gone over the car a few times with primer/sealer and after hitting it with 240 grit and then 400 grit have a little bit of burn through in some areas. Should I hit those areas with primer/sealer again, or is it okay to put topcoat over them? I gone over the surface a few times and still seem to get a few coming through (although fewer as I get better at the process). I want to put the top coat over the primer/sealer without an extra sealer as the surface is smooth and I don't want to create runs, orange peel or an uneven surface with the sealer.

I'm also wondering if anyone has any thoughts on going with single stage or base clear. I like the look of the single stage I've seen, but it will be my first paint job so I want to be able to sand/buff out any mistakes. Any suggestions on which is better for a rookie?

Thanks!

· Junior Charter Member
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill, I've painted it with Primer/Sealer (2k urethane), which from what I've heard does both. I don't want to hit it with Sealer (epoxy) because as you say it's not meant to be sanded and I'm not sure I won't get either a run or orange peel.

I plan to just go over these spots with more Primer/Sealer and repeat until I get it with no burn through.

Planned final colour is black.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.