Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've gone over the car a few times with primer/sealer and after hitting it with 240 grit and then 400 grit have a little bit of burn through in some areas. Should I hit those areas with primer/sealer again, or is it okay to put topcoat over them? I gone over the surface a few times and still seem to get a few coming through (although fewer as I get better at the process). I want to put the top coat over the primer/sealer without an extra sealer as the surface is smooth and I don't want to create runs, orange peel or an uneven surface with the sealer.

I'm also wondering if anyone has any thoughts on going with single stage or base clear. I like the look of the single stage I've seen, but it will be my first paint job so I want to be able to sand/buff out any mistakes. Any suggestions on which is better for a rookie?

Thanks!

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,416 Posts
I've gone over the car a few times with primer/sealer and after hitting it with 240 grit and then 400 grit have a little bit of burn through in some areas. Should I hit those areas with primer/sealer again, or is it okay to put topcoat over them? I gone over the surface a few times and still seem to get a few coming through (although fewer as I get better at the process). I want to put the top coat over the primer/sealer without an extra sealer as the surface is smooth and I don't want to create runs, orange peel or an uneven surface with the sealer.

I'm also wondering if anyone has any thoughts on going with single stage or base clear. I like the look of the single stage I've seen, but it will be my first paint job so I want to be able to sand/buff out any mistakes. Any suggestions on which is better for a rookie?

Thanks!
If you burn through it, you need to seal it again, do not sand the sealer, it is meant to be topcoated "as it sits".

As for BC/CC vs single stage, if you have any metallic or pearls in your mix, then BC/CC is the way to go as you will not get the single stage urethane to cover consistently without a lot of experience.

Bill S.

·
Junior Charter Member
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill, I've painted it with Primer/Sealer (2k urethane), which from what I've heard does both. I don't want to hit it with Sealer (epoxy) because as you say it's not meant to be sanded and I'm not sure I won't get either a run or orange peel.

I plan to just go over these spots with more Primer/Sealer and repeat until I get it with no burn through.

Planned final colour is black.

·
master craftsman
5,596 Posts
Blow in only the spots and go forward. If your going black you can use either b c/cc or single stage, your going to cut and buff either way. If you can put down laquer over your primer, you could go old school and put down 12 or 13 coats, cut and buff and end up with that mile deep black. Advance auto sells pre mixed laquer in quarts, just open and spray. check and see if your primer will accept a laquer topcoat.....nothing sprays down easier than laquer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.