Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning on using a bump steer kit in My MK111 Roadster with my flaming river manual steering rack i have read some people say its not needed in mk111 others say it is?

Any advice or where to buy or who sells the best kit would be appreciated

thanx in advance

Jimm O

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've have a MkIII and the Flaming River manual rack with the FOX spindles and no bump steer kit. My car tracks straight and is very stable. It doesn't matter if I hit dips in the middle of turns at highway speed. I'd suggest you drive it first before spending the money.
Tom

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
I think Tom is offering good advice.

I think all these cars, when assembled with the standard collection of components exhibit some measurable degree of bump-steer effect. The question is, do you notice it and does it have any effect on how you drive the car?

If, after driving it, you feel the need to minimize bump-steer you can then measure and determine what type of adjustment is needed to correct the suspension/steering interaction.

Because I didn't figure this out for myself beforehand, I ended up buying a bump-steer kit as well as offset rack bushings long before I determined whether I would need them or not. :(

I guess all the long series of posts regarding bump-steer 'issues' provoked me into being ready to fix it! As it turns out I have little measurable bump-steer, and will know soon whether either of these 2 options are required or not.

If it does come down to choosing which bump-steer kit, I prefer the one Mike Forte sells. It does not require drilling your spindles to fit but uses tapered bushings to secure the tie-rod end bolt.

Sean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts