Factory Five Racing Forum banner

161 - 169 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
The dashboard wiring is all buttoned up and all the components test out fine. I've seen enough of wiring to last me for quite a while!
With the dashboard finally set in stone one of my pet peeves became glaringly obvious. The steering wheel is at an odd angle, pointing to the left a bit. It's probably designed that way to work with the slightly twisted seating position and to keep the steering shaft out of the way of the engine and headers. I saw in this forum long ago that some had addressed this by relocating the lower steering shaft bearing. I checked it out and it will work! So I'll be breaking out the grinder and the welder one more time!
More later ...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
This is an exciting time in my build! It's soon time to cover up all this chassis work by setting on the body, closing this chapter of the build and opening a new one. But first it's time to get to all those little things that are so much easier to access now. Here's what I've been up to lately ...

This version of the dashboard is Done Done! I say "this version" because there are a few things that could be improved upon. But I've laid that foundation that will allow those to be addressed later.

Here's the view from the front It's inspired by the GT40 dashboard, gauges high and vertical with switches low and on a bit of an angle. Instead of toggle switches I chose to use Conturas for a more modern look. The dash face is in primer for now. The final finish will be part of the interior work that will come later. Any suggestions?
View of Finished Dash from the Front by Team Limer, on Flickr

I tried to keep the wiring neat! But it's a bit of a mess behind the indicator lights.
View of Finished Dash from the Rear by Team Limer, on Flickr

The view from the seat.
Looking Good! by Team Limer, on Flickr

I knew that I wasn't going to like the angle of the steering wheel.
Dash in Place and Plugged In by Team Limer, on Flickr

I read about a fix in this forum several years ago ... move the lower steering shaft bearing. Tacked in place for now.
Relocating the Lower Steering Shaft Bearing by Team Limer, on Flickr

A plate of pretty aluminum to cover up the mess.
A Pretty Plate to Cover all of Those Holes by Team Limer, on Flickr

The trunk floor is dropped about six inches! I finished access panels for the fuel tank. The enclosure for the fuel fill will be figured out with the body on.
Finished Trunk Fabrication by Team Limer, on Flickr
Lots of Room in the Trunk by Team Limer, on Flickr

The view of the cockpit. The passenger side, tunnel cover and lower dash still need work.
Checking Panel Fitment in the Cockpit by Team Limer, on Flickr

I finished up the Dynamat Extreme, taped all the seams, painted the floor, and stepped back for a look. Happy!
It's starting to look like a car! by Team Limer, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Nice progress Glenn,

Keep it going and before you know it the body will be on. Then it will really start looking like a car!

John

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
I had a productive day after a week off with our house guests.
Final torque and locking fasteners on exhaust manifolds.
Installed heat shields at foot boxes.
Relocated the gas pedal (after
some trimming) to be a bit higher. Now it’s perfect!
Temporarily installed mounts for yet-another-dashboard that will pivot at the bottom ... a project for another year!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Here's a pic of the pedals. I had to shave all of the webbing from the upper right side of the pedal sensor housing to get the plug out of the way of the steering shaft. Then I was able to reposition the pedal higher. Note that I did not cut the pedal arm. But I did flip the pedal pad around.
Relocated the gas pedal. by Team Limer, on Flickr

The gas pedal height is level with the brake pedal when it is full on ... perfect for heel & toe. The clutch pedal rests a little higher than the brake pedal, right where I like it.

I fabricated and installed a lower dash panel. It's attached with #10 screws and rivnuts making it easily removable for access to the power distribution and supplementary fuse panels. I'll be mounting the window switches in this panel and probably a little storage.
Dash with lower dash panel installed. by Team Limer, on Flickr

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
My battery is pretty close to the exhaust manifold so I made a heat shield from a bit of aluminum.
Battery Heat Shield by Team Limer, on Flickr

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Delving into the mysteries of AC systems!
I have the Vintage Air AC system that Factory Five sold for the Gen 2 Coupe and I'm trying to mate it to a Coyote from a 2015 Mustang. Fortunately the engine came with the AC compressor and the suction and pressure hoses that attach to it. And I harvested the compressor clutch connector from the original engine harness. That's about a thousand buck in parts!
The plumbing is pretty straight forward but control of the fan is a mystery to me at the moment. I wired the radiator fan so as to be controlled by Coyote Control Pack. But it has no provision for air conditioning. There's the Vintage Air trinary switch. Then there's the pressure switch in the hose from the compressor to the condenser (with no mating connector, pigtail or pin out). Do I use the trinary switch, the pressure switch, or both? Do I wire the AC stuff to provide an alternate power source to the fan? Or do I wire it to provide an alternate ground to the Control Pack fan relay?
I guess I'll figure something out sooner or later. But if anybody's been down this road I'd appreciate some insight!

161 - 169 of 169 Posts