Factory Five Racing Forum banner

141 - 160 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Getting the Coyote ready to run is a a bit of a challenge. That figures, because I haven't done anything the usual way! I'm using the FFR instructions for installing Gen 2 Coyote in a roadster as a guide. But I have a Gen 2 Type 65 coupe, not a roadster ... and I'm using an engine from a Mustang, not a crate motor ... and I'm using rocker switches, not an ignition switch ... and ... well, nothing is "usual"! .

I'm not begging for sympathy. It's all self-inflicted!

Wiring is done. Just needs a double-check before I do some testing and connect up the battery.

Intake system is in the works. Running it to the left with the 90* Scepter tube might work well on the roadster but on the coupe it will run into the splash guards. I have a 110* on order and I plan to run the intake straight down behind the X brace. I have parts on the way from JLT Performance that should give me the PCV and CMCV connections.

For the cooling system the upper and lower hoses provided with the Coyote Control Pack are a good start. I have some planning to do. I think I'll follow the lead of EdwardB's anniversary roadster build and try to use the Ford cooling system design.

The fuel system should be pretty straightforward. Earlier I ran hard lines from the fuel tank to the bottom of the firewall. I'll extend them up the firewall and transition to AN -6 to the fuel regulator and onward to the fuel rail.

Lots more to do. First Start can't come too soon!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
I'm getting lots of details wrapped up to prepare for the big day. Our friend The Travelling Builder will be on site for First Start and Go Kart slated for late next week. Testing my engine wiring, loading up the fluids, a check valve, a restricter, some vacuum lines and fittings ... the little odds and ends that chew up time are what I'll be dealing with in the meantime.

After trying really hard to make a comfy reclining seat fit in the cockpit I finally yielded to the inevitable and ordered a set of the Kirkey high back drag racing seats. The trouble spot is where the seat back contacts the top of the striker post. The width and the thickness of the seat back are the key factors. Even after several mods the recliners would not give me, at 5' 6", more than 1" of recline from a natural seating position. Nothing I've tried is as good in this area as the Kirkeys.

And there's another thing on cockpit ergonomics. I have an electric power assisted steering system available that looks like it will fit very nicely ... if I move the lower steering shaft bearing inboard a bit. That would have the beneficial effect of better aligning the steering column to the seating position. And remember that I added a bump out in the foot box earlier? So I should also be able to shift all of the pedals to the right, bringing them in better alignment as well. I'm going to take a close look at all of this before digging in, but getting the steering wheel and pedals better aligned with the seat would make for much more comfortable road trips!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
FIRST START DONE!!! And it was great!

After getting some last minute tips from The Travelling Builder last week we set today as the target date for first start.
Yesterday I finished loading in the fluids being careful to follow Mark's tips on filling the cooling system.
This morning Mark and I reviewed things, finished the final fuel line connections and changed the fuel pump wiring so that the fuel pump is controlled directly by the Coyote PCM bypassing the relay in the RF fuse panel. We fixed a fuel leak as we brought up the fuel pressure. It was time to give it a try ...

First attempt:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The actuator arm on my home made clutch safety switch wasn't aligned with the switch. Easy fix ... but the loaner battery didn't have enough juice for the job. Ugh!

Second attempt:
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We broke out the jumper cables and gave it another go. It started! The oil pressure was good but it sounded just a little rough with a little uneven rhythm at the left tailpipe. After a few minutes we could tell that the header pipe on #7 was not blueing up like the rest of them. I had wired up the tachometer adapter to the #7 coil by carefully following the wrong set of directions. It only took a few minutes to undo my mistake and give it another try.

Third attempt:

Beautiful! It started easily and quickly settled down to a nice smooth idle. As the engine warmed up the coolant started to flow it purged a bit of air and took the in the excess coolant from the reservoir. The oil pressure held, the volt meter indicated that the charging system was working, and the water temperature held as the fan came on. Awesome!

I have a few things to work on. My fuel lines are way too close to the header. I'll re-do the hard lines to run high in the tunnel. But first I need to install a drive shaft loop. Then it will be time to install a seat and do a neighborhood go kart!

Woo Hoo!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I made a few changes, some of which were suggested by friends who helped with the first start.

I added a drive shaft loop, re routed the rear brake line and fuel lines through the tunnel, and tidied up some wiring and plumbing. After checking for leaks I was pretty anxious to fire it up.

It still runs!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I’m near the end of one of those trivial little tasks that has been driving me to distraction: wiring the tach adapter to the Coyote Gen 2 Control Pack. I misread the wiring diagram (it could have been more clear) which resulted in me cutting into the harness at the wrong spot.
I had the Eureka moment ... I understand what to do and how it works. But it calls for cutting into the harness one more time.
I’m at the critical step. And I think I’m just gonna sleep on it before cutting the gray wire!

https://flic.kr/p/2iLgbsC

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Go Kart day arrived. After finishing up my post-first-start punch list I dropped it off the dollies and shot this little video.

And here's the first go kart ...

As you can tell by the title it didn't go very well. One simple oversight. When I decided to go to a hydraulic clutch I was told that I should add an appropriate pedal stop. I wish I'd remembered that before I overextended the hydraulic throw out bearing. A rebuild kit is on order. Ugh!

It was a day of "One step forward, two steps back."

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Glenn. That's one of those set backs that really stinks. The car sounds really good though. Congrates on this milestone (y)

Reactions: Gbeck

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
I have yet another plan for a custom dash and this one is getting way beyond the cardboard mock up stage. For now I'll just say that I've always liked the GT-40 arrangement. ;) To lay the groundwork for the dash I decided to move some electrical components around. They will be easier to access for maintenance. I moved my control modules (wiper, headlight controller, remote, etc) to a panel behind the dash and my power distribution to the area behind the switch panel.

A guy's gotta know his limitations! I'm not equipped to pull the transmission in my garage so the coupe is on it's way to The Travelling Builder's shop for a once-over and to have the hydraulic throw out bearing rebuilt. Next go kart soon!

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Ron Schofield (this shows how long I've been on this forum) did that in his coupe. Did some searches to get you a pic but it appears his web page is out of commission.
Your in good hands with Mark.

John

PS We all know youdidit :D

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
I spent many evenings browsing through Oxide’s posts and his web site. Inspirational stuff! He was well along with the build with some very cool touches. I wonder what became of it.
Here’s a tease of what I have in mind. But the design has already strayed from this mock up.

https://flic.kr/p/2iYVCe3

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
After a thorough inspection and some repairs by The Traveling Builder it was time to Go Kart! After Mark delivered the car back to my home I took my good friend Bob ... who has been an indispensable part of my build ... for a little run down the street.

My wife shot this video:

And here's the view from the passenger's seat:

Damn this thing is fun!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Very cool Glenn (y)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Here’s the video of my FIRST successful go kart. From the shop of The Traveling Builder.
Go Kart #1

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
I've been hard at work building a custom dash and doing some re-wiring. The dash that I built originally was intended to be temporary. And since it was my first major wiring job my methods weren't the best. So before I go any further I want to be sure that this wiring is bullet proof.

I removed the dash support bar on the driver side and built a frame from 1/2" x 1/8" angle that attaches to the center plate and the remaining tubing on the left side. Here's a pic of the mock up done up in aluminum,
Passenger side. by Team Limer, on Flickr

The design was inspired by the GT-40 with the gauges in a row high on the dash with switches below. Visibility of the speedo and tach is much improved and the steering wheel can be moved forward some. I kinda like the more modern look of the Carling rocker switches as opposed to toggle switches. I shortened the tube of my Russ Thompson steering column by about an inch to accommodate. The cutouts on the passenger side are for a power port, an AC vent, the HVAC controls and a glove box. The panel below the dash covers my power wiring, supplementary fuse boxes and a master cut off switch.

Here's what the driver side looks like with most of the gauges and switches in place.
A trial fitment by Team Limer, on Flickr

And here's what it looks like from the back side after a few days of wiring.
Dash wiring done! by Team Limer, on Flickr

There's more work to do on that wiring. But I'll tackle that later when I disassemble the dash to do the interior panels.

By the way, this is what ended my first go kart attempt before it hardly got started. The hydraulic throw out bearing was fine, but the bleeder hose came in contact with the pressure plate.
The reason for the first go kart fail! by Team Limer, on Flickr

Now it's back to work tying this dash into the re-done chassis wiring. Then another smoke test!

141 - 160 of 192 Posts