Factory Five Racing Forum banner
261 - 269 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
Great to see you stepping closer and closer to completing the doors.

As an FYI, ABS resists UV but not long term. I don't know how much the sides will see sunlight but it may discolor after a while
Thanks for the reminder! It's possible that some of these ABS parts might be covered with upholstery material some time in the future. Meanwhile we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
We had a beautiful warm dry spring day today so it was time to take the Daytona out to check out the results of all the work I've done on it this winter. The biggest item on the punch list was to finish closing in the doors and get some weather stripping on them. But there was also a bunch of other smaller projects that I wrapped up.

I was not disappointed! The doors still don't seal completely but the road noise is much reduced, the backup camera works, the steering is nice and tight, the rattles in the hood and doors are gone, the eBrake boot seals well and the hot breeze from the engine compartment is gone. It's gonna have to get a little warmer to see how the AC is doing.

The driving itself was as fun as ever. I took it a little easy on the back roads since there are still spots of gravel on some of them. And it sure was fun getting a little squirrely leaning into third gear! Good stuff!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
I think I mentioned DynaDeck a while ago. It made a huge difference in the amount of engine heat finding its way into the cabin. The 72" roll didn't cover the entire floor area, so I got a 36" roll of the stuff to finish it off.
I think it looks pretty good. And I expect it will help make things a little more comfortable for a possible road trip this summer.

Here's a pic before reinstalling the driver's seat.

DynaDeck Complete by Team Limer, on Flickr

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
I went to a couple of car shows today but the cold blustery weather with a threat of rain kept most folks away. Even so, I had a great time talking coupe stuff with a few car guys. Then I took the long way home.
Have I mentioned how much I love driving this car?!

Untitled by Team Limer, on Flickr

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
I keep having those days when I go to the garage with no particular plan and find stuff to keep me busy for hours! Baby steps for a better ride!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 · (Edited)
I went to a nearby car show today with my FFR Type 65 Coupe and what did I see but what looked like a Ferrari 250 GTO! I took a few pics, chatted with the owner and suggested we stage a Ford v Ferrari photo shoot.

Obviously its not an original Ferrari GTO!. Given its size, the strut rear suspension, and an inline 6 that looks very much like a Datsun engine I'd say its a redressed Datsun Z car. Still its a very cool ride!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 · (Edited)
Every time I filled the tank I'd have fuel splashing on the side of the car. I think I finally solved it!

I'm using a custom fuel tank with a straight fill tube about 2" in diameter and 16" long connected to the FFR provided fuel filler cap. The tank has a flat top with the fittings at the top of the front edge.

A few things might have contributed to this but I figured it mostly boiled down to no venting in the fuel fill tube, even though the tank is well vented. I took a cue from my Mustang's filler neck and a long ago post by forum member Oxide and built a tube within a tube for my fuel fill.

This assembly fits in my fuel fill tube just below the cap. The fuel nozzle fits inside a nipple welded to the plate and fuel flows into the tank through the attached fuel-safe hose. The area in the filler neck outside the hose serves as a vent for the filler neck.

I've done two tank fills with the nozzle at full squeeze with no splash back. Yay!!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
I was hoping to take my Daytona on the Rally North America road rally in June. It would involve a 3 day road trip to Durango CO, 4 more days on the rally ending in Las Vegas, then a drive back home to PA. I'm very confident that the car would do the trip just fine. And with ear protection it's a comfortable enough ride. But the likelihood of temperatures over 100 degrees in the desert areas has convinced me to take the old reliable Team Limer Mustang instead. I need to get some summertime AC driving done before making this commitment with the Daytona.
On the other hand, things are looking good for a friend and I to partner up to finish the Lincoln Highway cruise that we had to cut short last year. I'll post up more when our plans firm up, but keep your eyes peeled for a 1977 Maverick and a gel-coat Daytona on the road this September. Maybe a meet up with my friends in the Bay Area Daytona Association (BADAss)!

261 - 269 of 269 Posts