Factory Five Racing Forum banner
241 - 250 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Several months ago a friend approached me with an idea for an epic road trip. Lincoln Highway coast to coast; he in his 51 year old Mustang and me in my barely built Daytona. Since then I’ve been working really hard to make this happen. But when the time came I decided that even if the Daytona was up for the challenge, the driver was not. At this point the Daytona is just a bit too rough on the driver for multiple consecutive days of 400+ mile days.
We did the trip, but I left the Daytona at home and took my 06 Mustang instead. We had a great time on the trip. I documented the trip in a Flickr album here. Enjoy!
2021 Lincoln Highway

·
Registered
925 Posts
Several months ago a friend approached me with an idea for an epic road trip. Lincoln Highway coast to coast; he in his 51 year old Mustang and me in my barely built Daytona. Since then I’ve been working really hard to make this happen. But when the time came I decided that even if the Daytona was up for the challenge, the driver was not. At this point the Daytona is just a bit too rough on the driver for multiple consecutive days of 400+ mile days.
We did the trip, but I left the Daytona at home and took my 06 Mustang instead. We had a great time on the trip. I documented the trip in a Flickr album here. Enjoy!
2021 Lincoln Highway
Life is but a journey Glenn.. :) well done.. :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
With the cooler, drier air upon us here in the mid-Atlantic I'm putting lots of shakedown miles on the car; Cars and Coffee, car shows, club meet-ups, or just out for a fun drive on the local twisties. Even in gel coat with patches from body mods the Daytona draws a lot of the right kind of attention. I'm building a punch list of things to do when I take it off the road for a while. But not yet. Too much fun!

A few of the things on my punch list:
The windshield wiper mountings provided are just wrong! Moving them about 6" to the left will let me get a decent sweep of the windshield in front of the driver.
I'm not happy with my decision to do down-turn tail pipes. They don't look great, and I think a lot of the cabin noise might be exhaust pressure reflected off the road and back to the body. I'm looking into punching them through the tail with some nice slash cut exhaust tips.
Filling the tank often ends with fuel running down the side of the car. I'll see what I can do to improve venting or some sort of baffle near the fuel cap. Thanks Don for your input!
Sloshing fuel is a problem. It's not hard to run into fuel starvation stumbles when the tank is less than half full. Hydramat is the likely fix! Thanks Dan for your input. BTW, I used a custom fuel tank so I could reconfigure the hatch area for more space.
The AC has a big challenge cooling the entire interior. I'll mock up a partition behind the seats to see how I like it. I'lm sure I'll have to do something to ventilate the hatch area.
The steering rack is pretty sloppy.
The aircraft quality ANC headsets work amazingly well. But it's still very loud in the cockpit, a bit much for my sketchy hearing.
I need to tweak the door and hatch alignments to get this thing weather tight. It's close, but not quite there yet.

At 2200 miles and counting I am very confident in the chassis, drive line and suspension. Thank you Mark and Bob! For now I'm driving this car and having a blast with it.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Interesting observations Glenn.. I fitted a 2L swirl pot to mine with an internal fuel pump to avoid surge. Id seen filler necks with an overflow/ return line that could be fitted for the Coupe.

Good luck.. :)

Reactions: Gbeck

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
The steering issue got bad enough for me to realize that the problem was in the rear. The Traveling Builder diagnosed loose axle nuts and took care of it in no time.
I'd been communicating with Mike Moen of "Cannonball Coupe" fame for over a year. Our respective visions for our cars are very similar and I have followed his lead on several mods. When I got to the Traveling Builder's shop to pick up my car I found Mike sitting at the workbench playing with his Webers! We had a nice chat and I took him for a bit of a mad dash on some of our great local back roads. Good fun!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Glen

Make sure before you reconfigure the interior, try setting the A/C temp control to 3/4 or a little less. Creep up on temp. I found that my super frost from Southern Air freezes up past 3/4 and no cooling. If I keep it at 3/4, all is cold.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
That was interesting! Sometimes the clues don't point you in exactly the right direction.

I've been doing some minor chores on the car while I keep putting on some shakedown miles. I've been noticing the car stumbling off the line, especially when the tank is less than half full. Fuel sloshing is confirmed by the behavior of the fuel gauge. Remember that my tank is a custom aluminum tank with the front 2 inches deeper than the rear so that it tucks in above the rear valence and gives the best possible fuel capacity. I imagined that the fuel pick up did not go to the bottom of the tank and/or that I might have to resort to Holley Hydramat.

I took the car to Mark Dougherty's shop where we opened it up for a look. The pickup tube is where I think it should be ... almost at the bottom of the deepest part. But we noticed some black spongy debris in the bottom of the tank. We found that the gasket between the tank and the filler tube flange was breaking down. Some fuel was leaking through the gasket onto the top of the tank and rubber debris was found in the pick up hose and the pre-filter.

After cleaning up the mess and making up a fuel-safe gasket I was back on the road. All seems well after a few test miles on the street.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
One of the minor chores I've been working on is this partition between the cabin and the hatch. I had a 12" x 24" piece of Plexiglass and found that is big enough to permit an unobstructed view in the rear view mirror.
I made this panel from aluminum and mounted it to the rear side of the roll cage standing off about 1/2" so I can still easily attach things to the cabin side of the roll cage tubes. The right 6" of the panel is removable with a few screws, then the entire panel can be easily removed.
I thought that it might make the cabin feel a little claustrophobic. Not so. The window is big enough that you don't even know its there while driving.
(y)

Untitled by Team Limer, on Flickr

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
This post was a big hit on the Factory Five Builder FB page so I thought I’d share it here too.
“My ride home from Thanksgiving dinner with my daughter’s family.”
Wheel Tire Sky Car Cloud

Yesterday I joined in a cruise with an eclectic mix of cars. Lots of imports, ponies and several
exotics. I had some concerns about the
200 mile drive in mid-30s temps, but It went very well. The car performed flawlessly. With the cabin partition the heater kept me cozy in the cockpit.
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle

241 - 250 of 250 Posts