Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
OT Moderator
13,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here has, or is doing this? Is it feasable?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,297 Posts
There was a post not to long ago about this and from what I see it can be done. Luckily I have a 2 car garage

·
Registered
1 Posts
I heard of a guy doing it in the crate the kit came in, so a 1 car should be plenty. I used a elevated body buck, which I rolled into the driveway when working on the frame. Chris

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
Rob,

It can definitely be done. Dont forget you can store the body outside. Some of the body/paint guys say it is actually preferable to leave the body outside, especially in the summer, it helps to cure it.

Take care.

Tom

·
OT Moderator
13,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2 car now, but we may move into another house that I own which is a one car, and sell the current one we live in. We may downsize a bit. Was just checking to see who's done it or not. I'm jeoulous of all you people with these huge stand alone workshops. Here in Miami, Land is at such a premium that you rarely see those huge shops here, unless your loaded to the til.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,450 Posts
I am doing it right now and did my other two in one side of a two car garage. I built a body buck with legs tall enough to be able to roll over the chassis when I was done working. When I wanted to work on it, I would open the door, roll the body and buck outside and then I had all the room I needed. It can get a little tight when it comes time to drop in the motor but it is totally feasible. I picked up my most recent kit about a week before christmas. Its rollin and the whole front suspension and steering system is complete and torqued. I have drilled 95% of the aluminum panels but only riveted the F panels and the firewall so that I have better access to the frame to run the brake and fuel lines. Go for it! Its not a problem!

Mike

·
OT Moderator
13,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Lawman:
Rob,

Some of the body/paint guys say it is actually preferable to leave the body outside, especially in the summer, it helps to cure it.

Take care.

Tom
I tell you one thing, if a body left outside in Miami during the summer doesn't cure (MELT) it, NOTHING WILL!!!

·
7,134 Posts
Sure it can be done and certainly has....
My barn is 12 x 20 and I had no issues at all.

Lots of space until the body went on. Still workable but not as easy. Some pics on my site - link below.

Tips most who have worked in small spaces will tell you - is make the frame / body buck mobile.

I stored the body in the roof, and the frame was on furniture moving dolleys until I was ready for engine, making it easy to move it side to side making more space.

i also have full car dolleys now for the complete car, so that even on it's wheels I can shift is sideways when working on it.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I'm doing it right now. I have the body on a buck with rollers. I store the body out side. I started the build in may . So far I have all the suspension,gas tank,steering, brakes,brake lines,fuel lines,95% ofall aluminum panels,dash,gauges,70% of elec wiring installed.I set the body on the frame last week. My plans are to work on the engine and trans till spring.Then store the body out side and build to go cart stage.It's cramped for space but not really that hard. You go boy! Roger

·
Charter Member
410 Posts
It is very possible. All it takes is some organization. Here are a before and after photo.Notice the floor tracks on the left for the body buck made it a lot easier to roll the buck in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
CobraRay,

I showed a coworker your pictures, and his response was, "I would kill myself."

My father's organization of his 2-car garage spares him about the same amount of room though, so I can feel your pain.

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
ariel sold the 'man in the box' car to me 5 years ago and it has proved to be a very built car, crate and no garage required

ive got a tiny garage, but never have the right to complain because of that.

james

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,219 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts