Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone built a kit for someone else? Basically someone hiring you to build?

I will eventually be able to afford a kit someday, but I am ready and able to build a kit now.

Are there any requests for this?

Thanks
Bill

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Bill, I'll preface this with I have a little abobe average mechanical ability, jeep project with son and worked on some airplanes. If you are the same level of experience as I am, I just can't see doing this for somebody else.

Here is why: I'm way too picky when doing something like this and what might pass for me to drive for a bit I would never let it go out the door to a customer. I take too long and would have the customer constantly (and rightly so) asking about progress on their project. To do this for somebody else can easily turn into a chore and not fun. You want to work on your project because your head is in it, you enjoy spending time in the shop with the dog or kids or what ever. When you enter the deadline factor into the project that starts to change the enjoyment factor.

There are some guys out there that can do one of these builds really fast but in case things don't fall into place like that, would you be willing to have your shop tied up with somebody elses project for 6mo, 1yr, 2yrs more?

With all that being said there are guys here that do this for a living. They have it all down to a sceince and they have already gone thru the first time learning curve. If a customer was doing some research on these cars and asking for a turn key roadster I would think they would go to somebody with experience first.

Sorry if all this sounds negative. Sure don't mean to discourage you. That's just the first few things that came to my head. Be ready when you ask on this forum to get an honest reply!

By the way, I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum! :D Really

Mike M.

·
Registered
365 Posts
HAYMAN.
I can understand your mind set. 3 years ago if not longer I started thinking of the Cobra. Hell, was probably back in the 60's actually. I've visited FFR as they are 10 minutes from me. I also went to thier open house this past summer and enjoyed it Big-Time. One thing I've realized is this is a large family of very real and helpful people. Almost cult like but in a good way. I purchased the build manual ($50.00), kept checking out all the posts on this web-site, talking to the guys a FFR and even though I'm pretty good at building things and restoration projects it seemed that as bad as I wanted to build a car it would take way to long. Many of the guys here are amazing with what they do. So anyway bottom line is I purchased one for sale done up very nicely, broken in so to speak and although I might make some small changes I am very glad I went that way. These are amazing cars and scary fast...but a blast... My suggestion......buy one ALL DONE. You'll get to see all the detail and can then plan on your personal touches while you learn aout the car.
I'd by the assembly manual 1st and really think it over while you're reading it. But again the car is just part of it. All the other owners are the other part and an integral part of the WHOLE experience. ALSO.....Welcome !!!!!!

·
Senior Charter Member
712 Posts
I would defiantly have to agree with Huckelberry5. I have built several cars and sold them. If you were to build the car out of your pocket as a fun hobby for yourself keeping in mind that you will sell it when it is finished you will enjoy the build much more. You can put in the touches that you like but have to remember to keep it simple or you will never get your investment back. Defiantly don't think you are going to make a profit and for sure don't try and keep up with your time invested. The car I just finished was kind of a mix between what you want to do and what I suggest. It was sold at about the halfway point. I did begin to feel the crunch to finish the car and it no longer felt like my project but as something I needed to do. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed every minute of it but it wasn't the same. I wouldn't turn down an offer to build another one for someone but like Huckelberry5 was talking about I have some experience under my belt and I know pretty much what it takes to build the car without wasting time. If you do find someone make sure they understand your experience level and that timeframes are meant to be broken and this stands double once it goes into the paint shop.

·
Junior Charter Member
790 Posts
I loved building my car... And nothing beats the line when people ask... Where did you buy it from ? "I built it my self, with parts from Factory Five Racing !"

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
I have an idea: why not have BOTH you and the party that want's it, co-work on the project. This way, he/she isn't doing all the work and makes it less overwhelming? At some point, it can even be 'handed off' when and if the intrested party feels he/she can finish it. I can see people just being plumb scared of a project of this scale and having someone help all the time might make it easier. Don't know the whole situation.

The other thing about both of you doing the work is that person can select whatever personalized things they want - less guess work on your part.

Just my wooden nickels worth. All I know is I could never do this for someone else w/o them really being there to help.

Then there's the liablitly angle but I'm guessing you've already figured that part out.

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
Sure there are requests for this type of thing. But anyone (besides your brother-in-law) who wanted to pay someone else to build one would probably go to a pro (like Richard Oben at North Racecars). Either that or buy a used one.

·
Senior Charter Member
212 Posts
I did this sort of thing in another hobby (R/C airplanes) and have promised myself never to do it again. Mike M. has it right. All of the fun goes out of it when you are trying to please someone else. Even without a deadline, it becomes work. Hold on until you can do one for yourself and it will be a blast!

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
How about finding new owners in your area, and asking if you can help out on their build? A second pair of hands is always welcome, and if I could've pawned off drilling a few rivets to someone else, it would not have broken my heart.

Post on this forum for new Pennsylvania builders; you'll find some, I'm sure.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Just thought of something,... isn't this the reason why FFR themselves DO NOT build the cars? They too want to have fun as well.

Just pass on the offer. You'll feel better.

·
FFRroadster builder
961 Posts
Ive benn building a FFR MKIII since july 06 with friend who owns foreign car repair shop in Rhode Island. We have been having a great time and are 85% done at present. Despite little problems we really have not stopped laughing. He wanted to be challenged so insisted on building 331 stroker with gorgeous high performance parts.I have average mechanical aptitude,he is a PRO with all the tools. This is the way to put a FFR together for sure!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.