Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next week I am going to be doing the FFR Build School in the Detroit Area. I am very excited, but after recieving a letter from the community college I am extremely let down. "For insurance reasons, participants will NOT be allowed to drive the finished product. Instructors will be able to demonstrate the success of the project". Wow super bummer, I am trying to keep my spirits up but honestly I was dreaming about going for a test drive in the car :(

·
Junior Charter Member
1,668 Posts
Believe me, you will not be disappointed by the school.

·
Have Kit Will Build
291 Posts
Well look at it this way - you put together a car in 3 days that takes many people weeks or months to do. Todd or Jim will do burnouts and doughnuts in a car which you built - trustfully watching over the important stuff as you go. It's a good class and valuable experience for your build. You get to drive your own. I had a post a few weeks ago with pics from the July Build School if interested.

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
Not to deviate too far off topic, but what happens to the cars once complete?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,435 Posts
Originally posted by Mark Reid:
Not to deviate too far off topic, but what happens to the cars once complete?
They have an "Unbuild School" and take them apart again!

Seriously, I have always wondered this too. What happens to those cars?

·
Junior Charter Member
289 Posts
You wont be disappointed at all.

Mark, they build/disassemble the cars a number of times then they have to cut the frames up and FFR sends them a new one to build, at least that is what Jim and Todd told me when I was at the class.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,668 Posts
They take them apart and use them again. I don't remember how many times.

·
Mid Ohio Loopster
1,980 Posts
The cars get taken apart and readied for the next class. I believe they get about 5-6 classes out of each car. If they were to totally go from scratch, the class would be 2-3 weeks instead of the 3 day class.

Franky, there's a few guys that sometimes show up to show the class their cars...You might be able to sweet talk one of them into giving you a ride in theirs

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
Frankly,
The insurance issue is more than likely associated partly to the fact that not every rivet, nut and bolt is installed during the weekend build. Instead of 100 rivets attaching a panel possibly only 20 are used. There is also the risk / liability if one of the students didn't applying the proper torque the suspension bolts correctly, bleed the brakes, steering on secure, etc, etc. This is not a completed, registered vehicle. It's for your safety! Remember You do want to arrive home in one safe piece to have the opportunity to build your own car.
Be thrilled you are having the opportunity to experience the build. A lot of times other local FFR builders bring thier finished cars over to the school on Sunday to take a lok at and ask questions. Enjoy! I did.....
Bob Mac
FFR3981

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
I don't get how that is a let down!

The title of this post does not match the topic IMO. Of course they're not gonna let anyone drive it. I didn't even expect it. Just as most of the owners here will never let anyone drive their cars.

Go through it and you'll not be disappointed.

-Kouros

·
Master Air Guitarist...
154 Posts
build school is AWESOME. Just got back myself and you will NOT be disappointed. They would be INSANE to let us drive the car...you'll get enough goose bumps watching Jim abuse it!!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Arent we all Insane ?

·
Junior Charter Member
6 Posts
Build school was an excellent training/familairization process. When I was there, some folk stopped by with there cobras and offered some participants complimentary rides. I remember a class mate rode in a supercharged unit, and returned to the class as if he had an out of body experience!

·
Charter Member
1,512 Posts
This kills me, why not finsh it and sell it for charity,and why would you cut the frame up and send it back. The build school sounds like a good Idea other than that. And like others have said I`m sure someone will take you for a ride. This is one car that alot of people get free rides.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Well.. I think it is best to get your first Cobra ride as a passenger.... it makes you a little more aware of the power. My first ride was in a fairly stout small block in which the owner muttered the words "....prepare yourself..." just before I got in - I can't think of a better two words of "Cobra Wisdom".

Anyway....since I live fairly close to the build school and my car will be finished this fall, attendees can expect a ride or two from me next year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts