Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... after a couple of years of lurking (and a life time of dreaming), I've decided to make a run at building one of these beasts. So... I plan on living on this forum for the foreseeable future :001_tongue:

I'm a planner, and I'm trying to compile a build list of things I need to acquire and when. I haven't ordered the kit quite yet, I want to make sure this thing is going to cost me MORE than an arm and a leg.

So, my first question is around the engine. I have been toying with the idea of going with this motor from summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6007-x302/overview/

I wanted to stay small, carbed, and approach 350 hp. This is going to be a street car, not track, and reliability is important to me. I think this guy gets me to where I want to be. I'm curious to get opinions, though. Is there a reason NOT to use this? Is there a better bang for the buck? What intake and carb would you use on this thing?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
1,182 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Do yourself a favor and talk to Mike Forte. He's a supporting vendor on this forum. Tell him what you already have if anything, what you want and let him ask you a few questions and recommend a solution. He can even pair you up with a transmission. Oh, and all of those "No's" on the Summit site as to what is included can also be matched and included so you don't buy the wrong distributor gear, etc.

Oh, one more thing. Factory Five has a sale on now that ends soon. Waiting to order might cost you a couple grand depending on what you want.

Dan

· Registered
5,294 Posts
You may want to call Mike Forte. He is a respected vendor on this forum and dealer for these engines too. He has a ton of knowledge for cars and these kits and I am sure he would steer you in the right direction.

· Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the site!

Oh, one more thing. Factory Five has a sale on now that ends soon. Waiting to order might cost you a couple grand depending on what you want.

Dan
I saw that about the sale... I'm trying to free up a little more cash first as I have to offload my last project (65 Sunbeam Alpine with a V6). I was thinking I'd start getting parts together, and actually order the kit once the next sale roles around. It seems to me that FF has sale about once a quarter? Is that accurate? Or is this sale THAT much better than the others that I would be an idiot not to jump on it? :001_smile:

· Registered
2,056 Posts
I was thinking I'd start getting parts together, and actually order the kit once the next sale roles around. It seems to me that FF has sale about once a quarter? Is that accurate?
The (big) sales seem to be running more like once a year (to 18 months).

But getting parts together is not a bad plan - you're going to need to be really careful that you round up stuff you can use (and the stuff that you really want).

Engine / transmission / rearend for starters.

Brake plan / front spindle plan too.

For brake planning you need to read + understand this thread (it'll keep you busy for a while):

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/245120-brake-bias-concern-warning-safety.html

HTH,

Mike

· Premium Member
9,127 Posts
Hi Vince,
I have the same engine from Ford Racing for $3725.00 and I'm including a FREE ministarter on engine packages. The Ford Racing hipping is FREE and that will include the liftgate for home delivery N/C...
I also have Edelbrock intake, gaskets, bolts, pulley kit etc.
Please give me a call and I'll forward an engine package price.
Thanks,

· Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Vince,
I have the same engine from Ford Racing for $3725.00 and I'm including a FREE ministarter on engine packages. The Ford Racing hipping is FREE and that will include the liftgate for home delivery N/C...
I also have Edelbrock intake, gaskets, bolts, pulley kit etc.
Please give me a call and I'll forward an engine package price.
Thanks,
Sounds good, Mike. I'll be in touch.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

· Premium Member
968 Posts
Things you may need...

Welcome. When compiling a list of things you need there are lots of options. Think about how often you are going to be driving (daily?) and in what types of weather. Wipers, heater/defrost, seat heaters, soft or hard top (or none), wind wings, sun visors, quick jacks or bumpers, etc.....you get the point! There are lots of mods you may want to do as well. Take your time and enjoy this process.:001_smile:

Rocky

· Premium Member
18,256 Posts
That is an excellent engine to meet your goals. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Mike. He built my monster engine, and I am very pleased with it.

You'll be making a lot of trips into the mountains. Big changes in altitude and weather conditions. A carb will certainly get the job done, no question about it. But consider EFI. There are multiple reasons you can't buy a vehicle with a carb any more. Heck, even Harleys have EFI these days!

An excellent choice for that engine would be Mass-Flow. It uses all stock Ford parts, including the mass flow meter. It sort of looks like a carb, too. Should be easy to install, needs no tuning on that engine, and will be dead on reliable for the next couple of decades. Mike is a dealer for this system, and will hook you up with everything you need.

mass-floefi.com

· Premium Member
315 Posts

For brake planning you need to read + understand this thread (it'll keep you busy for a while):

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/245120-brake-bias-concern-warning-safety.html
I agree with Mike on this. Good reading lot's of good info. Reading this it made a big differance in what I did with my brakes. The other thing I have found is the more time I spend looking around on this wonderful site the more ways you find to spend your money. It's like OHHHHHH:001_tt1: I like that and I want that and I need this and thats really cool gotta have that. $$$$$$ like it says in my signature "It never seems to end!" Good luck and have fun!!

Ed.

· FFCobra Fanatic
1,679 Posts
You actually need to start at the other end....getting plates on your finished car and actually driving it. Get in touch with other owners from your state to see what paperwork, if any, is required on your engine, transmission and rear end, to register your car in your state. In some states it's harder to register without a paper trail of where the parts came from. Check with who ever is going to give the stamp of approval in your state on your build, to assign a VIN number (State Police, Registry of Motor Vehicles, etc) to see if an engine from Summit, Mike, or anywhere other then another titled, smogged up, donor car is acceptable. I hate to see "new guys" spend thousands on their cars only to find out at the end, some of the major ($) parts cannot be used for registration purposes. My state, Mass, is a nut buster right now. Be careful during your build, do your research and you'll have a great car to enjoy at the end. Buying parts, assembling, and finishing your car is actually the easy part. Being able to register, insure, and use it on the street can be difficult. Good luck; enjoy the ride. It's definitely worth it.

· Registered
6,092 Posts
bbk347 beat me to it -- x2 on finding out what your state regs are regarding paperwork, title, inspection, etc. Involves having both the proper paper trail as well as making the right choices. For example, while wipers are debated a lot, they may be required so just deal with them. I too am aware of several examples where people experienced major problems because they didn't know the process or requirements until they took the finished car in. Major disappointment and headaches!

Couple of other major (in my opinion) decision points:

- Heater or no heater? Defines dash and firewall layout, in addition to the plumbing and wiring required.

- Rear suspension decision. Another widely debated subject. While you can change later, best to decide before placing your order.

- Finally, if you have a chance, find other builder/owners in your area, and really look over their builds and ask lots of questions. Ideally either ride or drive (if they'll let you!). On my first build, my first ride ever was driving my Mk3 after building it for almost two years. No big regrets, but was relieved I did power brakes and was disappointed I didn't do power steering.

Good luck, and enjoy the build. I love driving my Mk3, but for me building is nearly as much fun. I enjoy the planning and execution process very much.

· Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You actually need to start at the other end....getting plates on your finished car and actually driving it. Get in touch with other owners from your state to see what paperwork, if any, is required on your engine, transmission and rear end, to register your car in your state. In some states it's harder to register without a paper trail of where the parts came from. Check with who ever is going to give the stamp of approval in your state on your build, to assign a VIN number (State Police, Registry of Motor Vehicles, etc) to see if an engine from Summit, Mike, or anywhere other then another titled, smogged up, donor car is acceptable. I hate to see "new guys" spend thousands on their cars only to find out at the end, some of the major ($) parts cannot be used for registration purposes. My state, Mass, is a nut buster right now. Be careful during your build, do your research and you'll have a great car to enjoy at the end. Buying parts, assembling, and finishing your car is actually the easy part. Being able to register, insure, and use it on the street can be difficult. Good luck; enjoy the ride. It's definitely worth it.
I totally agree. I have started tracking down some of these requirements here in Utah. Hoping to get some clarification on this in the coming weeks.

Great advise... Thanks.

· Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bbk347 beat me to it -- x2 on finding out what your state regs are regarding paperwork, title, inspection, etc. Involves having both the proper paper trail as well as making the right choices. For example, while wipers are debated a lot, they may be required so just deal with them. I too am aware of several examples where people experienced major problems because they didn't know the process or requirements until they took the finished car in. Major disappointment and headaches!

Couple of other major (in my opinion) decision points:

- Heater or no heater? Defines dash and firewall layout, in addition to the plumbing and wiring required.

- Rear suspension decision. Another widely debated subject. While you can change later, best to decide before placing your order.

- Finally, if you have a chance, find other builder/owners in your area, and really look over their builds and ask lots of questions. Ideally either ride or drive (if they'll let you!). On my first build, my first ride ever was driving my Mk3 after building it for almost two years. No big regrets, but was relieved I did power brakes and was disappointed I didn't do power steering.

Good luck, and enjoy the build. I love driving my Mk3, but for me building is nearly as much fun. I enjoy the planning and execution process very much.
Heater, PS and PB are all must for me. I want to make sure it safe for the wife to drive (In case I get the nerve to let her). :)

· Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The (big) sales seem to be running more like once a year (to 18 months).

But getting parts together is not a bad plan - you're going to need to be really careful that you round up stuff you can use (and the stuff that you really want).

Engine / transmission / rearend for starters.

HTH,

Mike

So... that brake thread was some serious business. While I understood it all. It left me even more confused than when i started. :eek::eek: Some people say it HAS to be power brakes, then others say that standard non power are fine, and then you have the ABS camp. I know that is just ONE portion of the braking system. But... which way to go here? I'd like to try and use the components that come with the complete kit and the rear end, and just make those useable. This isn't going to be a track car... but it does need to be safe. What is a guy to do?

On a brighter note... I'm going to get my kit order in tomorrow! woooo hooo!:w00t:

· FFCobra Craftsman
26,000 Posts
My car is an old MkII w/ a dual MC but otherwise standard mustang brakes and I have been able to come up w/ a nice manual system. So, if I were you,I would concentrate on posts from people w/ a MkIV who got the entire Wilwood package that FFR offers. I just looked at their site and found that the complete kit comes w/ mustang front calipers which will be fine. But they offer a Wilwood upgrade for the rear which I would get. This will be good as the FFR needs a lot more rear brake power than a front heavy mustang. And verify that the MC is the adjustable dual unit from wilwood as that is a huge help in getting front to rear balance correct.HTH

· FFCobra Fanatic
1,041 Posts
Go power brakes and power steering, 13" front and rear from Forte on my MKII. I had all manual for first two years and all mustang brakes and hated it, only thing I did not get from Mike was the motor and I wished I had.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.