Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Have eveything picked out at FFR...Hoping to go down Tomorrow to Pay...My question is How difficult is it to build..I mean the average builder is charging anywhere from 6K-9K labor(No paint) and 3K for a donor..So I figure if I do it myself I would have approx 10K to spend on new parts..Could I purchase all the parts I need new with that $ ??...Also anyone have a list of the stuff I need So I can just go down to the ford dealer and place my order new...I plan on Building FFR with 5lug, IRS...

I have restored a few cars(55chevy,68 camaro,76 T/a and a Corvette)..But then all I had to do was disassemble clean rebuild/replace and reassemble..Really no modifications..What do you guys think about me tackling a factory five build myself.. 3hrs a day hitting it hard on days off(6-8hrs)..Need advice

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
29,604 Posts
Build it yourself. It's not difficult as long as you don't stray too far from the donor concept. Unfortunately, I didn't follow my own advice. :eek:

Keith

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Build it! It'S WAY easier to build an FFR than to restore something else--I know, my neighbor has been restoring a 1965 Mustang for 2 years, with the end still a long ways off, while I built my FFR in 6 months, easily, and have been driving it the rest of the time.

Plus, if you build it, you will always be able to fix/modify/improve it, and building is FUN!

I'd recommend getting a donor if you go the basic kit route, or a pallet donor if you go with IRS, different engine and/or tranny, etc. or would rather spend a little less time and a little more money. If any parts are really nasty, trash'em and get new ones.

The hardest part, either way, is deciding just what you really want to build. But it doesn't really matter, because whatever you do will be more fun than you can imagine!

Forrest

·
Registered
322 Posts
1. Find a Donor
2. Pretend is a restoration

It's truly simple and you have many builder sites and this forum to get you going.

If the going gets tough, crack open a beer and seek help and sympathy here. If it gets really tough, put in a trailer and turn it over to a pro.

At least give it a chance. You will be surprised how easy it is compared to a restoration.

·
FFR 4331
1,114 Posts
Originally posted by Pepe Borja:
If it gets really tough, put in a trailer and turn it over to a pro. At least give it a chance.
Words of wisdom. This is my mantra. Never done more than change my oil and planning on building my own car. Building my own car! Can you believe it? Me either but I'm gonna give it a go

CJ

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
I did it both ways....

Started the build. Gordon was doing the body and paint. Did the front/read suspension, aluminum, brakes, fuel system, Motor and tranny in, was starting the wiring. Wife having problems at work soo...Gordon needed the rolling chassis when I brought it to him....I left it. Gordon finished the car.

Mike

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
If you have restored a few cars, you can build one of these. I've restored several cars over the years, the FFR is wwaaaaayyyyy easier. Go for it.

Greg

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
You can build it, but that's not the critical question. The question you need to ask yourself is this: Why do I want to build it? Be honest with yourself. If the answer is solely to save money, don't do it, save your money until you can have it built. If the answer includes learning, pride of ownership, having a hobby, etc, then build it yourself. You'll have an experience to remember.

Buddy

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
..No Money really isn't the issue..Me and a buddy both ordered kits...We were going to have them built only to be able to drive them this yr..Everyone says that the most fun comes from building it..I will give it a try..And if things get to heavy I can always have one of the pros finish it...Thanks

·
4,015 Posts
Badcaiman,

I live in MA but will not be back until mid-September. There are a whole bunch of us there. All of us have built at least one FFR and some more than one. If you run into a bind or need any help at all, send me an email and I will help you get folks there. Where in MA do you live? I am in Marlborough. Send me an email at [email protected] if you need anything. I have a t-bird IRS complete and ready to go that I am keeping ofr a spare. If you run into a bind, I may be coerced into selling it. it is off the car, out of the cradle and sitting in my garage.

Henry

·
Registered
182 Posts
You might have to take a lesson or two from your wife/girlfriend, About SHOPPING. You said Ford dealler! That's a dirty word here. I bought a brand new rear end for my car through Ford Motorsports for $600. and the Dealler wanted $3000. for a stock one!!!!! Get your self a long list of vendors ie Summit etc. and armed with your Telephone and this internet you can keep the cost done as far as possible! Happy building/shopping

·
Senior Charter Member
480 Posts
Badcaiman, Ditto what 65 cobra dude says. I'm in Plymouth and there are a few cars in this area also. It helps when you are building if you can go see another car and look at the part that you're having a problem with. Just don't feel like you are alone, this forum is tops and someone will always have an answer for you. Good luck, Bob

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi,

On the question of built it yourself or have it built ...

Don't forget the longer term advantages of building it yourself ... you know what's there, what it's for, and how it went together. Means a lot in keeping the machine on the street in the maximum good, safe shape.

The folks here are very helpful and can probably get you through almost anything you encounter! They've been a huge help to me as I go back to fix things on a roadster built by someone else. Sure wish I didn't have to ask stupid questions.

·
12,671 Posts
Originally posted by Badcaiman:
But then all I had to do was disassemble clean rebuild/replace and reassemble..Really no modifications..

Thank you
ACTUALLY, if you build a FFR, BY THE BOOK, with a donor, and no mods, its the same thing, almost..... Disassemble, ....clean/rebuild, ....and REASSEMBLE on the new car. If you have done these projects, a FFR will be a piece of cake.

JUST DO IT.

earl

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
It's late and I'm tired. I worked on the car for 12 hours today. I kept telling myself to quit, but I was on a roll and didn't want to stop. Anyway, I consider this the fun part because, let's face it, the finished product is really nothing more than a Mustang wearing a snakeskin suit. They aren't really contemporary cars, not without today's bells and whistles like all wheel drive and traction control. They aren't really collectible, because we can't build one that really has more than just a superficial resemblance to a "real" cobra. So why would anyone want to not have the enjoyment of building the damn thing. I really don't mean to imply that guys like Gordon Levy and Richard Oben and Mike Mack don't provide a valuable service, but, in my case, if I couldn't build it myself, I really wouldn't want to own it. I don't usually stick my old nose into these non-technical posts, but this one I couldn't resist. I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Happy motoring

·
Premium Member
8,070 Posts
the finished product is really nothing more than a Mustang wearing a snakeskin suit.
Huh? Ide agree if the car was a rebody of some sort... like a fiero lambo or something.. but the FFR uses the motor and tranny and a few other bits from the mustang and has a full tube frame chassis... and its a "mustang wearing a snakeskin suite"?

Your under selling the car your building

David

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,132 Posts
I agree with David.
This ain't no rebody. Be proud of your accomplishment, and the hardwork in producing a wonderful replica of the most awesome car ever. :D

And Yes: BUILD IT YOURSELF!!!!

See Ya

Jeff E.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Ouch...you guys take everything way too literally. Loosen up a bit. Take a look at FFR's suggested donor parts list and tell me if there's more than half a Mustang on that list. I'll stand by what I said. I think that researching the purchase, sourcing the parts, building the car and all the other stuff that goes with it are an essential part of the experience. My conclusion still is that if I couldn't build it myself, with help from the guys here, I wouldn't bother owning it.

Happy motoring

1 - 19 of 19 Posts