Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Build Intro for Luci

First off, I want to thank this forum for all the knowledge and input it has given me, I intend to show all that I have learned by creating a car.

Where to begin a manifesto of car thoughts? I'll start with goals and overall plans, then move into some of the decisions I have made because of those ideas. Interspersed will be more than enough stuff about myself, as I pour myself into this project. I promise to delete more than I end up writing here so as to keep it interesting.

The Goal, figuratively:
My dream car. A great looking car that I can hone various car-related skills on. I currently own a miata, and love it. I can do better though, hopefully while keeping the character and features I love about it. I love taking fall drives with the heat blasting and looking all around at New England. I love racing the engine as I explore twisty roads. I love the adventure of jumping in and feeling connected to the road and the travels. I want a car that can take a passenger and I to Mount Washington or an autocross, run the road/track spiritedly, go out for ice cream, and get us home without problems.

No, The Goal, Visually:
I fell in love with CSX3301 the moment I saw it. Classy, not exactly your average blue roadster, but still fitting the vintage feel. Within reason, I want my car to look like CSX3301, and if I don't have an opinion that overrides it, default to looking like this car. That means no scoop, an airsplitter, bumper hoops, street instrumentation.

No, The Performance Goals:
A car with a 6:1 lb/hp ratio to put it in an elite group, so ~400hp, <2400lbs. High revving because I like the sound, EFI(megasquirt?) because I'm a computer guy, with an IRS suspension and torsen rear diff(fell in love with it in the miata) and a suspension that can keep me safe on a rough back road. Power steering, no skimping on the brakes, well matched gear ratios, and whatever the case is, make sure I can drive the bejesus out of it.

Now you're starting to get into details and mods:
ISIS power, dual hoop for a bit of passenger protection, lemans top from Mr. Bruce for later/earlier season driving, tonneau for normal summer stuff. rear shelf, clubman seats because they offer the security and comfort the car deserves. Lexan windshield, LED blinkers, brakes and (HID, H4) bright headlights, visibility is important. Seat heaters. Keeping an open eye on undercar aero, splitter, belly pan and diffuser are not out of the question.

How Much?
I've put together a budget, It looks like the range is 40k-52k - I'll share the spreadsheet in a little bit. I've got enough things that the complete kit doesn't handle that I'll be getting the base kit, even though I currently don't have a donor, and might not ever get one.

The name, where's it from?
Lucifer. my build number is 7666, very heaven and hell. I'll aim for a car that looks like an angel, but is as fast as the devil.

Not everything is completely thought out yet, If there is something I am missing, PLEASE, let me know. I'm very excited for this project, I've learned so much, and now want to show off that knowledge in the best way possible.

· Registered
4,738 Posts
Sounds like a cool build and I was right with you until you referenced "white witch from Narnia". Sorry, for some reason, that killed it. sounds too nerdy for me and I'm an IT Tech guy and love gadgets! (I like your hi-tech ideas though!)

Continue your build, sounds great. :001_tongue:

If it's of any help, here's my build plan (but it sounds like you are already there):
Build Plan:
MPTech build plan revision 9 and counting

· Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sounds like a cool build and I was right with you until you referenced "white witch from Narnia". Sorry, for some reason, that killed it. sounds too nerdy for me and I'm an IT Tech guy and love gadgets! (I like your hi-tech ideas though!)

Continue your build, sounds great. :001_tongue:

If it's of any help, here's my build plan (but it sounds like you are already there):
Build Plan:
MPTech build plan revision 9 and counting
Yeah, I'm not completely smitten by the name yet. I could go with 3301 for the amount that I care. It's said that the two difficult problems in programming are cache invalidation and naming things. I haven't mastered either.

Thanks for the build plan, can I steal the format to flesh out my build?

· Registered
705 Posts
Welcome to the madness. Right now is a good time to order as Factory Five is offering free shipping to the first 11 buyers starting today....

· Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the madness. Right now is a good time to order as Factory Five is offering free shipping to the first 11 buyers starting today....
I already ordered (on november 4th), and since I live nearby, I'll be picking it up from the factory. I'll leave the free shipping to folks on the west coast.

So far, I've ordered ISIS 3 cell and RF kit, A Mr. Bruce Le Mans Hardtop with hatch and side windows, my kit with dual hoops and IRS, and a scissor lift(!) and air compressor(plus impact wrench, air riveter, spray gun)

I'll start a real build log when things are actually in the garage. Right now I'm just terribly excited.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.