Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the only thing holding me up from dropping the eng/tranny in is a BH/block dowel. I have one and lost one. I've been to several dealers w/o luck and summit wants $19 bucks plus $11 for handleing :rolleyes: I just need a standard one long enough to check the runnout on my QT bellhousing...anyone have one laying around they can part with? I'll pay for it and shipping and could return if i need offsets....anyone?
oh it's a late model (96ish) 5.0

·
Charter Member
96 Posts
I wish I had seen this 2 weeks ago. I just threw away an old small block with the dowels in it. We used an old block to mock up our auto trans. I found the block in a scrap bin at an engine machine shop. You might call around to some engine shops. The ones around here seem to have numerous junk blocks lying around. Usually these dowels stay with the blocks. Sorry I can't help.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Greg,
I must have them at work. Call me tomorrow and I can ship you one.
Mike

·
Charter Member
117 Posts
Im guessing the dowel is a standard dowel english or metric measure depth of hole and how far it sticks out go to the hardware store like what we have here are westlakes Ace hardware, back in the asile with all the drawers they will have dowels. you need to mesure the dowel some of the metric dowels look like english if you dont work with them all the time
5/16 is .3125 and 8mm is .3149
1/4 is .25 and 6mm is .2362
3/8 is .375 and 10mm is .3937
so measure it

dont try to jam a metric in a english hole

·
Senior Charter Member
1,406 Posts
I'm pretty sure that I made dowels for my '88 small block from 1/2" cold roll round bar from Lowe's. It's exactly the right diameter for a press fit. I think I remember tapping mine in with a hammer.

Cheap and quick!

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dan r and cobra3657...I had thought of that but was un sure of the required tolerances and sinse I am gonna use it to index the steel BH, it has to be correct to determine the correct amount of offset I need...otherwise I may end up with the wrong offset dowels

ha..i just found an old xxx minus gauge pin at .500, so i now have an extreamly expensive dowel on on the cheap to check the runout

thanks for the suggestions and those that tried

[ March 30, 2007, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: quicksand ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts