Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search for brighter brake lights, and
had seen a post that folks tried 2357 bulbs I believe it was. How's that working out guys? After cruising with a bunch of FFR Roadsters I can see a need for increasing the brightness.

Brian

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
On the same line Brian, I'm wondering about the dual light on each side as opposed to the single brake light each side.

Mike M.

·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike

That definitely helps ,some guys have it. I'll have to figure out how it's done.

Again it was great to finally meet you yesterday.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
RJG, Who carries those? I don't think you can order direct from Hopkins Mfg.

Mike M.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Brian a search might turn up a post someone made with pic's showing the diffrence in the 1157 bulb compared to the 2357 bulbs. It was a good amount of improvment. I plan to try these just never remeber when in the store.
Mike you can get the trailer light adaptors at rv stores if close by.

·
2,990 Posts
I installed the mod so all four tail lights are brake lights and both on each side blink for the turn signals. I think it makes a huge difference. I plan on getting the brighter 2357 bulbs for all the lights. For those who have not seen these, below are links to some previous topics on these subjects.

Brighter bulbs:
http://www.ffcars.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/088731.html#000003
Duel brake lights on each side:
http://www.ffcars.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/087381.html#000012
http://www.ffcars.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/086896.html#000005

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
2357 is the way to go. The 400 hour tail light life on the Halogens are way too low and 25 candlepower on the tail light is too much, even with the small reflectors on our cars.

LEDs just are not bright enough and the beam is too narrow. Just like those god damned obnoxious blue headlights, these things often do not make DOT approval because they are outside the approved power range ON THE LOW SIDE, the opposite of what the huxters would have you believe. (I recently did a lot of night driving in nasty weather and I wish I had a bazooka. The worst offenders are HID conversions with reflectors designed for incandescent lights. The HID arc is bigger and a different shape than the filiment and needs a completely different focal pattern. These conversions shead glare all over the place. The EU isn't even allowing proper HID bulbs anymore without auto-leveling devices. If you are thinking about a conversion, please don't.)

LEDs have one strong thing going for them and that is they turn on in micro or nanoseconds vs miliseconds for incandescant bulbs. It works out to about 12 feet at 70 MPH. My upper brake lights will be LED for this (non-trivial) reason.

Of course, nothing kills output like dusty lights. I clean the lights on my daily driver with every fillup (and get a lot of strange looks) about 2-3 times as often as I do the windows. Strange looks are good. They mean you are doing something right since most people are idiots.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,805 Posts
Strange looks are good. They mean you are doing something right since most people are idiots.

:yes: I probably fall into the idiot group, but you still made me laugh my a$$ off with that line!

Cheers,

Sean

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Just add a very bright 3rd brake light.....

Dennis

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
Hey Mike,

I don't know why you want to "sugar coat" your feelings about the blue lights !! LOL !!!! You should just tell us how you really feel !!! :) I couldn't agree more and will take one if you order two of those bazooka's........

·
2,990 Posts
I got my powered Hoppy converter at a West Marine store.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts