Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Breeze lower radiator mount, upper mount/hinge and upper cowl.
are these 1)a must have, 2)a nice luxury, or 3)not necessary

I already bought the fan shroud.
FYI, I'm running a 289 hipo and don't plan on autocross or racing.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Unless something has changed, F5 has you secure the lower edge of the radiator with zip ties. I didn't feel that was particularly robust, so I'd say some sort of lower mount is a must-have. The Breeze setup - like all of Mark's products - is very nice indeed.

I didn't do either the upper mount/hinge or the upper cowl. With the shroud, the upper cowl becomes a cosmetic thing more than anything else; it saves you from having to look at the gap between the framing and the upper portion of the radiator.

John

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless something has changed, F5 has you secure the lower edge of the radiator with zip ties. I didn't feel that was particularly robust, so I'd say some sort of lower mount is a must-have. The Breeze setup - like all of Mark's products - is very nice indeed.

I didn't do either the upper mount/hinge or the upper cowl. With the shroud, the upper cowl becomes a cosmetic thing more than anything else; it saves you from having to look at the gap between the framing and the upper portion of the radiator.

John
thanks john
I thought cowl was to direct more airflow through the fins of the radiator and prevent it from escaping around the top.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have seen plenty that says the shroud is important.

I feel the lower support not only made things a lot stronger it also made install easier.

The upper support seems to be a good idea but it does lower the radiator so now it becomes a matter of preference and willingness to modify a little

·
3,508 Posts
The piece at the top of the radiator does help with air flow across the radiator. It also fills the gap at the top which looks sooo much better! I was happy with the installation way before I got the last pop rivet installed. Nice job Mark!

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
The zip ties shown in the instructions for the radiator are intended to be temporary until the body is installed and the radiator surround pieces installed in the front. Those anchor the bottom of the radiator. Having said that, I've used the Breeze lower radiator mount on the Roadsters I've built. I like having it solid and anchored from the start, and not depending on the radiator sheet metal. Which I've done differently anyway. I've also used the fan shroud and the piece that blocks air at the top of the radiator. Both also highly recommended. I personally haven't found a need for the Breeze top mount. I'm fine with anchoring to the stock cross piece. Just need to be a little careful since the radiator is soft aluminum. With the added bottom mount, it's plenty solid IMO.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I used the shroud, cowl cover, lower support, and the lower coolant pipe. I also used Fortes degas tank. I wasnt impressed with FFR's coolant hoses and stuff. It just didnt looked finished. The breeze stuff works and looks great. Its just money!!

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,689 Posts
When I redid my radiator / cooling setup a few years ago, I upgraded to the Breeze piano hinge and lower mount. Nice stuff. Just make sure the rod stays in place, see below!

I made my own shroud for the top of the radiator, and also upgraded to Everson’s front radiator shroud. Much improved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts