Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a picture of my Mk3 with the Breeze hood hinges and a home-made prop rod that is close to the original style. I made the prop rod using some 3/8 stainless steel tubing (rigid) and will need to do a bit of bending to get just the right contour. It will clip to the "F" panel or the frame using a spring clip. I'm also going to add a roll-pin cross-ways through the end and I'll cut a channel or add a bracket to the hood - more pics to follow - in order to ensure that it's wind-proof.

Here's the rough mock-up, though:

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Nicely done Chris! The hinges make a big difference in the under-hood look.

- John

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finished the prop rod today, except for some form of wind protection that will secure the rod to the hood on windy days - I'll probably do something for that once the hood latches are in place as I'm guessing the passenger-side latch will offer a solid mount for the prop rod. For now, it's just like the originals, with nothing more than a rubber tip on the end of the rod holding against the molded-in ridge on the underside of the hood.

I used a 2" stainless allen head cap screw with a jamb nut and a spacer on the engine bay side to mount the rod to the chassis - I just drilled a 1/4" hole through the 3/4" chassis tube, then used the jamb nut to adjust the depth and used a nylock on the outboard side of the 3/4" tube to hold everything in place. The rod itself is just a piece of rigid 3/8" stainless tubing. I flattened the chassis end of the tubing in a press and drilled it for the 1/4-20 cap screw, then bent is slightly to get a good alignment both with the hood and for stowage. To hold it in place when down, I used a stainless spring clip that is bolted to the chassis where the FFR hinges would normally mount (unused part of the chassis as I have the Breeze hinges).

I haven't decided if I'll leave it polished or have it powdercoated black (leaning towards black, though, so it doesn't stand-out too much. About the only other change I'm thinking of is to swap the white nylon spacer for a black one.

Here are a few pics:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Here is my solution for a rod... 5/16" cold rolled rod welded to a tube with a 5/16" hole for the bolt to attach to a bracket welded to the chassis and a washer tack welded 1/2" from the end. I found that a Ford Focus uses a small plastic hold down clip under hood so I drilled a hole and filed it square to accept the clip.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.