Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sanding... Sanding...
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Breeze hidden trunk hinges (yay!)

My trunk is already buttoned up (cept for carpet). How can I align the trunk deck to the hinge plate to mark for cut/HSRF? I don't think I can fit in the trunk to mark while deck is down and centered on the body lip...

I don't want to cut this thing wrong and I'm concerned about not seeing/confirming the mount plate is flush with the deck, before HSRF...

What ingenious work-arounds have you guys come up with?

Cheers,

Jim

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
trunk monkey!!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
You can put some paint on the corners of the hinge plates. Use a long, thin stick through the seat belt hole in the bulk head. Get the lid where you want it, then push the hinges up into the lid. If you are careful, you will get a perfect fit. I did this on mine after I closed in most of the trunk, and it worked great. A little loop of gorilla tape on the end of the stick helps get a good grip on the hinge. Good Luck!

·
Sanding... Sanding...
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
trunk monkey!!
HA! I love it! That ad was soooo funny. Gonna have to get me a Mini Trunk Monkey... not much room in these roadsters...

You can put some paint on the corners of the hinge plates. Use a long, thin stick through the seat belt hole in the bulk head. Get the lid where you want it, then push the hinges up into the lid. If you are careful, you will get a perfect fit. I did this on mine after I closed in most of the trunk, and it worked great. A little loop of gorilla tape on the end of the stick helps get a good grip on the hinge. Good Luck!
Scott, there are some slots on the hinge mounts to the trunk cross-over bar; presumably for adjustment... did you just center those adjustments and then line up your hinge (with tape/paint, etc...)?

Part of my concern is I can't see if the hinge is flat against the trunk (or at an angle) when I go to mark it. I'd hate to have a 'co-planar' misalignment, not just the left/right or fore/aft...

... but that said, it looks like most are just mounting the brackets flat to the trunk lid and calling it good...

Maybe it's time for a shop light and a webcam... :evil:

Cheers,

Jim

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Yes - I tried to start with everything centered. Also check the height of the pivot in the rear of the hinge to make sure it is low enough to get full extension. The breeze plates have locating nuts on the studs that act as a base for the hinges. As long as you set the plates so that the bolts are in the plain of the inside lining you should be fine. I had to build mine up with HSRF to set them to the right height.

Good luck - There are pictures in my bodywork thread

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
trunk monkey!!
I'll try to be a little more helpful this time. I found a cardboard box (or two) along with a piece of foam rubber and propped the hinges up so they were about the position where the trunk is closed - maybe slightly higher. The plates which get bonded to the trunk were attached to the hinges. I applied some prussian blue (you can use paint) to the plates and carefully placed the trunk lid in place. After I removed the trunk lid the prussian blue left marks where the plate made contact giving me the location to mount the plates. Good luck!

·
Sanding... Sanding...
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes - I tried to start with everything centered. Also check the height of the pivot in the rear of the hinge to make sure it is low enough to get full extension. The breeze plates have locating nuts on the studs that act as a base for the hinges. As long as you set the plates so that the bolts are in the plain of the inside lining you should be fine. I had to build mine up with HSRF to set them to the right height.

Good luck - There are pictures in my bodywork thread
Excellent... I see it now.. the plane of the trunk emboss is an alignment source... the assumption here is that the hinges will be parallel once mounted...

I'll try to be a little more helpful this time. I found a cardboard box (or two) along with a piece of foam rubber and propped the hinges up so they were about the position where the trunk is closed - maybe slightly higher. The plates which get bonded to the trunk were attached to the hinges. I applied some prussian blue (you can use paint) to the plates and carefully placed the trunk lid in place. After I removed the trunk lid the prussian blue left marks where the plate made contact giving me the location to mount the plates. Good luck!
Prussian Blue... that takes me way back to gun repair with my dad 30 yrs ago. I believe that's what we used to "blue" the barrels. Thanks for the 'wayback' Mr. Peabody... I like the Box and Foam idea...

You guys have given me much to work with... Thank you all!

I'll post pics of my progress.

Cheers,

Jim

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Please do post your progress...I'm taking notes
:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts