Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before installing my Breeze hinges I did a search and could not find anything specific to the Roadster 3.1 so I thought I would show what I did as it worked out well.

First I lined up and mounted the hinges to the cross bar under the rear deck. I then sized the trunk using paint sticks and a air shaper. Then transferred the hinge locations to the trunk lid with tape and a sharpie. This was then transferred to the inside of the trunk lid and the reinforced fiberglass area cut away back to the trunk top skin. This made a recess to mount the hinge anchor plates to the trunk. I didn't want to mount the plate at the top surface of the inner skin as the it would be a lot of filler and hard to make the front edge neat. So instead I bonded the hinge anchor plate in the enlarged recess. , , , , ,

So how do you get it in exactly the right place ? I mounted the anchor plate onto the hinge with the supplied nuts then installed the trunk lid and centered it using paint sticks, Previously I had tied a string around each hinge and passed the end through the old FFR hinge holes. When I pulled the string tight the hinge rotated up against the trunk lid and I was able to drill a 1/8" hole through the trunk lid into the anchor plate to mark it. Same with the other side. I then took everything apart and finished drilling the holes, 2 per plate. Using clecos I now could temporarily mount the plate in the exact location for bonding.

To reinforce the anchor plate bond and make a flat surface to mount the hinges, I made two alum, plates just larger than the hinge anchor plates so there was adjustment room. I filled the recess up to the top of the nuts with High Strength filler and pressed the plates into the filler and shaped the excess to form a nice fillet ready for body work finishing. When I first bonded the anchor plates in place I filled the space between the trunk top skin and inner skin with High Strength filler to connect the inner and top skins for strength. See pics below.

Hope this helps anyone else puzzling over how to do this on a 3.1 and have it come out neatly.
/Rob

Attachments

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Thanks for the detailed description of your install, I'm just about to install the Breeze hidden hinges on my 3.1 and this will be very helpful.

· Registered
5,909 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I did it with the trunk floor installed. I also set the hinge mounting plates in the middle position so it has 1/4" adjustment forwards & 1/4" backwards and about 1/8" each way sideways. I also set the gaps on the trunk before installing the hinges so it doesn't require too much movement to align everthing.
Hi Covincor the 3.1 has a very different trunk skin reinforcing that is about 12-15mm in thickness so it creates real issues if you fill it in and try to create a nice neat transition at the front. The current 4 bolt Breeze hinge only has 1/8" each way from centre. The bonded cover plates form a flat surface to mount the hinges with enough room to align things. With the trunk up the hinge anchor points look very neat from all sides. I will take another picture tomorrow when I remount the trunk.
/Rob

· Registered
5,909 Posts
Currant hinge is 3 bolt. You have the same 1/4" side to side by moving the brackets on the chassis.
More pics would be great to add to my collection.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Currant hinge is 3 bolt. You have the same 1/4" side to side by moving the brackets on the chassis.
More pics would be great to add to my collection.
Oops I guess I have had my hinge for a while. I drilled everything so the mountings were centered including the frame brackets to give me the most adjustability. . . I'll post a pic tomorrow.
/Rob

· Registered
1,150 Posts
Rob I am curious why you did not center the base in the raised portion of the trunk lid as opposed to letting it hang out? Are you aware that that metal cover may catch on the weatherstripping. I installed the same hinge and mine is further back by about 3/4".

Attachments

· Junior Charter Member
139 Posts
Do the clecos cause the HSRF to squeeze out from between the deck lid skin and the mount? Seems to me there should be a layer of HSRF between the two for a good bond.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Bonding

Merry Christmas gents !
Mounting the hinge on the top of the inner liner seemed to have more issues than recessing it. and I figured it would change the angle of the plate to the trunk lid so might need to be shimmed.
I did like the way you cut the liner and inserted the plate.
After I cut out the liner I sanded the inside of the trunk smooth before centering thge hinge. The clecos just align everything. I put a layer of HSRF and pressed the hinge into it until it seated then used the 2 clecos to hold and position it. After cleaning up and curing, I put another layer above the plate and pressed the top thin alum plate into the filler until it seated on the mounting plate nuts below. Cleaned up the filler that squeezed out and filled around the plate front edge.
When I mounted the hinges to the 3/4"cross bar on the frame the front ege of the hinge mounting plate is about 3/8 from the lip of the trunk opening. The hinges really dictated where the plate mounted on the trunk lid. When I sized the top cover alum. plate I made sure it didn't interfere with the trunk opening. I mounted everything up yesterday and it works and fits well. I will post a picture of the final install a little later. . . . .
/Rob

· Big Sky Builder
2,619 Posts
Did you guys have any problems with the bulkhead side of the trunk being too high? I think my hinges are pushing the trunk lid up by about 1/4", and the adjustments are all the way down. I'm wondering if I need to notch the 3/4" tube, but I'm a little worried about structural integrity if I do, so I might make some adjustable brackets instead.

Any ideas?

· Big Sky Builder
2,619 Posts
Kevin, How about pics?
What "MK" are you installing on?
Did you leave the jam nuts one the the stud plates?
I'll get a couple of pics, but basically, everything fits, and it opens correctly as adjusted, but when it's closed, the trunk lid isn't flush with the body. If I push down on it, it'll seat more or less, but that's not the right way to do it.

It's an MK3.1

Jam nuts? Are those the nuts on the welded studs on the trunk side of the hinges? I may be an idiot, I didn't know they were removeable, so that might be the issue since they are about 3/16" I think.

· Registered
5,909 Posts
The jamb nuts are supposed to stay, and getthe burried in HSRF.
Sounds like you would need to drop the chassis mount down a little, just don't know why as this is a first.
So from what I'm understanding the bracketed mounted to the cross tube needs to ba about a 1/2" lower. Correct?
You have the body mounting bolts in? Weather strip on?

· Big Sky Builder
2,619 Posts
The jamb nuts are supposed to stay, and getthe burried in HSRF.
Sounds like you would need to drop the chassis mount down a little, just don't know why as this is a first.
So from what I'm understanding the bracketed mounted to the cross tube needs to ba about a 1/2" lower. Correct?
You have the body mounting bolts in? Weather strip on?
I would guess that it's less than a 1/2", probably a 1/4". Body mounts are all in and bulb seal there. I haven't put the trunk D-seal on yet, but that wouldn't matter here. It's possible that the body is just sitting lower than usual, I hadn't thought of that. I can probably shim the cross tube area of the body slightly to accomplish the same thing without having to drill back into the tube. It's also possible I'm just slightly high on the original drill locations for the breeze hinge mounts.

I might play with the geometry a bit as well to see what adjustments I might have.

Thanks for the info, I'll report back, sorry for the hijack, I figured this was as good a place as any to ask.

· Big Sky Builder
2,619 Posts
Is the plate of you hinge arm sitting as if it were surface mounted to the trunk lid liner?
Know what I mean? Or is it above?
Not 100% sure what you're saying, but the trunk side of the hinge is mounted to the inside of the trunk lid (with the material cut away like the other pics here, but not as cleanly, unfortunately.) Then, the hinge plate is bolted in flat against the jam nuts, all tightened down. I have it adjusted so that it is a pretty tight fit on opening, clearing the body by about 1/8". I think other people have said this, but it won't open all the way to 90*, which I'm not sure if it's supposed to anyway.

I'm heading out there and will post a pic.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Trunk hinge mounting plate

I think that the plate on the hinge where the trunk mounts may be at the wrong angle relative to the body. Check if the trunk closes evenly. I found that the back end of the trunk lid is tipped down a bit which doesn't allow the hinge side of the lid to sit low enough. It is not quite flush even with the hinge pins in their lowest position. My body also doesn't sit tight to the hoop even with the seal in place. I am going to put a couple of washers as shims at the rear most mounting plate bolts to change the angle of the trunk lid slightly. This will allow the hinge side to sit lower when closed. The new Mk 4 design has a bolt connection at the mounting plate hinge arm connection that allows the angle to be adjusted.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.