Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the site but have not been able to find a thread about this. What are the coils/loops that I see in the brake lines used for? I have looked at a lot of builds and I see many combinations and locations for these. Some with many all the way down to none that I can see. What would happen if I didn't put any coils/loops in my break lines. The manual doesn't talk about it and the Mustang didn't have any that I saw. If they are required to be there, how many should there be and where?

Thanks

·
3,760 Posts
I think some guys have multiple loops because they've bought preflared lines, and there is extra that they have no way to cut off. Doesn't hurt anything.

Having said that, I think one loop is not a bad thing. Although the FFR chassis is extremely rigid, there will be a certain amount of flex under high torque and hard cornering conditions. Given that, I would rather have a loop in the line to absorb that stress easily, than have the connection absorb it from a firmly fixed line.

I'm flaring my own, I will have one small loop at each connection, that's it.

AJ

·
3,645 Posts
1. provides flex spring
2. cool looking

·
FFCobra Craftsman
711 Posts
I agree with Need For Speed. In addition to looking cool, here is yet another chance to add detail and customization to YOUR car.

For bending the brake line try using 2 sockets side-by-side in a vice about 2 inches apart. One socket is used to coil the line around and the other socket holds the line in place. Different size sockets....different size coils. Fun, quick, and easy.

Have fun with it.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
The big reason is to make it easy to work with. If you're trying to do a straight shot, you have to be right on. 2mm too short, and you have to start over. By putting a loop or two, you've created some adjustability in fitting placement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts