Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Charter Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you make a brake warning light functional?
Pressure switch? wiring? Thanks

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Parking brake or hydraulic service brakes?

Mark

·
Charter Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for the missouri inspection they need a brake warning lite I thought hydraulic side is needed

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
For an inspection deal like that, yes, they'll want it on the hydraulic side, but most hydraulic pressure switches work on pressure, meaning they only light up when pressure is applied.

The first thing that comes to mind is an old oil pressure sensor, which lights the dash light at a certain PSI, but in your braking system there's 0psi until you step on the pedal. In this case you'd have the light on UNTIL you pushed on the brake pedal.

You may have to plumb a factory style combo valve in, or an aftermarket one with brake pressure switch to your brake system to get what you want.

Sorry...

Mark

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Screw that beaure, er, bureau...uhhh gubamint stuff. Rig up a light off the alternator so that it comes on when the key is turned and tell 'em it's a brake warning light.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Steve,
I really think some one is pulling your leg. I know nothing of that required for inspection.
Several of us have just finished and none of us have that :confused:
PM me and we will figure that out.

Skip

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Some stock brake distribution blocks have a brake fail switch built in. I have one I took out of an '86 F150 w/ manual brakes. It's a grounding switch btw.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
its a requirement in NJ

i used one from a late model mustang from ford and it was expensive, i forget the year, i may be able to find the receipt though if you need it, it was a combo distribution block and warning light and has terminals on it

the thing is it will only work if you loose presure on one of your halfs of the master cylinder, and they cant test that at your inspection

in other words if you epoxyed a couple of terminals on your current distribution block and wired it to the dash light you would be goood to go for inspection

not that i recommend doing that, but if you lose your front or back brakes and your brake pedal drops to half of what it was do you really need a light on the dash to tell you that you have a problem, and if you lose all your brakes are you really going to be paying attention to your dash lights anyway......Vinny

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
Rilla's Sprite has a simple one. I'll look on the Victoria British online catalog to see if I can find it.

It's just a shuttle valve that moves off center if one of the dual brake systems loses pressure. When it moves to one side or the other, it lights the dash light to let you know you're down to one system.

http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/sm/0108.asp
Holy crap. Forget it. Item 14 $290 for the cast iron version. Don't even look at the brass version.
d

[ April 25, 2007, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: NAGA ]

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
iBuild
5,824 Posts
I'm wondering, eletrical guys could maybe answer, but what if you put a hydrolic pressure switch on both the front and rear lines. How complex of a circuit would you need in order to turn on the light if one of the two switches were not on?

-Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.