Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it okay for a scratching noise to be coming from the rotor/brake pads when you first install them?

I hand-tightened the lug nuts onto the rotor, installed the brake pads, rotor spun freely with no noises. When I torqued the lug nuts to about 30ft-lbs, rotor still spun freely, but a slight scratching noise can be heard when I turn it (kind of like rotor on brake pad). Any chance that that scratching noise is normal for brand new rotors/pads?

If not, any suggestions? Adding/removing a washer between the spindle&caliper mounting bracket doesn't help any. Spent 3hrs on this and I just don't know :(

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
Yes, every time you install new pads and rotors or only pads you will slight grinding. Once the car is on the road and the brake pistons have settled to their normal position the grinding should go away.

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How can I tell between "normal" grinding and the pads being too tight?

For example, on one side if I have a spacer between the caliper mounting bracket and spindle I can't spin the wheel at all, it's like it's almost locked in place. (and makes a grinding noise, hehe). So that there is obviously too tight.

So I remove the spacer, re-install, and now the rotor can spin freely, but makes a slight grinding noise.

Is the trick to make certain the wheel can spin freely and not worry about any slight noises (unless they're still present once it's been used a bit)?

Thanks

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
Yes , the rotors should be spinning freely.
Not like they should go around like a roulete game, not even spin when not assisted. But not tight, and noise is ok.
Remember, now maybe the outsid pad is touching more than the inside one. This will be solved once system is bled and the piston(s) will balance out both pads.
If you are using stock brakes, no spacers should be used. They should go on just like they were on the donor. If you larger brakes from the vendors, I beleave they might need spacers in some parts. Check with them.

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - I PM'd Levy my question as well. However, while I await his response, I figured I'd post this video I took for him to get additional feedback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_lRnseUTwA

You can see both rotors turn the same amount - ~2 complete turns; however, the passenger rotor (1st up in video), has only minimal scratchy noises. The driver has continual noises. I've spent ~3hrs today just on the driver side trying various spindle<->caliper mount bolt shim thicknesses, and that is quite literally the best I can do (anything else and the rotor is basically locked up)

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,784 Posts
The system you have has a drum style brake shoe for the barking brake. It is not unusual to have a little rubbing between surfaces when it is first assembled. The reason the one side has more than the other is that the shoes have an adjuster just like a drum brake system. One side it slightly tighter than the other. Again ir is nothing to worry about and is quite normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts