Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on my brake plumbing for the last week or so. I got the front hard lines installed a week ago, and some of the rear yesterday.

I'm running the 13" Cobra brakes in the front and 11.65" brakes in the rear, although thats not directly related to my question. I'm using the Wilwood triple MC pedal kit from Mike Forte.

Originally I had a temporary hard line running through the opening the mustang MC would've bolted to in the footbox, but knew that wasn't going to be a good option. I decided to (like a bunch of people on here) use bulkhead fittings, so the plan was to run a straight fitting out the front, and two 90 degree fittings out the bottom of the FFMetal firewall, tucked up just outside the footbox so the rears and the clutch.

The problem I'm having is that I just can't find female->female 3AN->brake flaring adapters. The bulkhead fittings are 3AN male on either end, and I'm running flex line inside the dash to the Wilwood MC's since they've got 3AN fittings as well.

What are my best options? It seems to me I either need to find female->female adapters, or some combination of adapters (which frankly makes me nervous for leak risk), or find an AN-flaring tool and make the hardlines AN-flared on one end and brake-flared on the other.

Any ideas?

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, what the heck are all the openings in the front of the footbox for? There's a lot of holes and its not obvious what eventually goes in them?

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
George, give the people at Disc Brakes R Us a call. They have the crimping equipment to make just about any line you would need. Give them line length, fitting type and they'll turn one out for you...

As for the footbox front, the major holes are:

Very top Large- wiring harness
Very top medium- clutch cable

Middle large- brake master cylinder mounting
middle medium- steering shaft w/ bearing
middle small- throttle cable

HTH...
Mark

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
What you're looking for is a bulkhead fitting, and the nut that goes with it.

Summit racing carries these:

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by boB:
What you're looking for is a bulkhead fitting, and the nut that goes with it.
And if I want to find them, I can go look in my car. Two of the 90 degree ones and one of the straight ones. :D

The problem is the ends of those are -3AN not 3/8th inverted flare. I need adapters or something.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
I welded a tab to the 4" tube and used a bulkhead T to plumb the front brakes. Always use steel fittings to contain hydraulic pressure. You can find almost anything you need, brake plumbing related at www.inlinetube.com John

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
If I read your post right, your problem is connecting the hard line to the AN bulkhead fitting, right?

I wouldn't use adapters - if you could even find them. I have seen some "female AN" fittings but most are larger (-6 and up) and aluminum, not steel. Considering it's a brake system, I'd go the route of a 37 degree AN flare and use an AN nut & sleeve on your hard line where you connect to the bulkhead. You can get a nice flaring tool for $100.

HTH...

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
Ahhh, I see now.

The easiest solution would be to replace the AN bulkhead fittings with NPT fittings. Then use a simple NPT to AN adapter on the inside where it doesn't show. Then you can use standard flare fittings through the rest of the system.

I purchased a 45* AN flaring tool, and used AN fittings throughout.

However, IMO, the more fittings and adapters you use, the greater your risk of leaks and failures. I would run the steel line directly through the bulk head without any fittings at all. Then make some kind of cover to make it look pretty. That would eliminate 6 joints/failure points. Cheaper, too.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Bob, if you decide to skip the bulkhead fitting I have a sealing tip for you for the hard lines through the bulkhead...

Classic Mustangs ('65-'68, and possibly '69-'73) use a split rubber sealing grommet in the rear of the front shock towers for the brake hard line as it passes from the engine compartment to the brake hose bracket mounted on the outer frame rail. These would work perfectly to seal the hole made to pass the brake line and end fitting through...

I'll see if I can find a picture...

HTH...
Mark

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Here's the grommet and the specs:

O.D. 13/16", overall thickness 3/8", grove diameter 9/16", bore diameter 5/16" and 1/8" width.

About a buck each at most any Mustang parts vendor...

HTH...
Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts