Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just installed my custom welded brake pedal and shortened MC pushrod (Jeep setup) but when I try and operate the brake pedal, I have 6 1/2 inches of travel (when measured at the bottom of the pedal) but it eventually bottoms out against the front of the footbox before it bottoms out the MC.

After removing the front of the footbox, I find that I have about another inch until it fully bottoms the MC.

I guess I'm wondering how much travel is normal when the brakes are bled. The pedal on this car should be pretty hard and thus, not have a lot of throw, as everything is stainless and steel braided.

My thoughts are that if I need any more than what I have, I will be downshifting and looking for some soft grass because I'm out of brake fluid.

Any and all thoughts welcome.

Thanks!

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
How long is the pushrod? I think mine is around 5.5" or so after cutting it. I threaded the rod and used a coupler to allow for some adjustment. I think I also have all three spacers on the MC and it still bottoms out pretty far in front of the footbox wall. Are you sure you have the pedal in the correct mounting holes? Any pics of the setup?
Raul

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a surprise to me that it didn't bottom out, it seemed to last night.

I guess my question is really.. Does it need to.

I get 6 1/2 inches before it hits the footbox. When I remove the footbox front so it will go all the way forward, I get another inch maybe at the most. (as measured from the bottom of the pedal.)

Pushrod is exactly 6 inches from tip to tip. I'm using the bottom set of holes, one spacer, and the pushrod is dead center going into the MC. I modified the pedal a little to lean forward (ever so slightly) to give better mechanical advantage at the beginning of travel so that's probably what's doing it.

The pedal at rest is exactly where I wanted it height-wise, it just doesn't bottom out.

[ July 13, 2004, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Randy J. ]

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Zulu... That's what I was hoping to hear.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I have the exact same thing, Randy. My pedal bottoms out before the pushrod does. I figured that I'd only need a couple of inches of travel once the system is filled, so I'm not going to sweat it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts