Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been tinkering with the brake lines and my question is does the flare need to be perfectly centered?
It seems every time I make the flare it is just a little out of center. Is there a trick to this?

Thanks,

John

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Howdy John,

Yes. They need to look just like the factory flare and if they aren't, the will leak.

Are you using a double flare kit? A single flare kit will not work right for brake lines.

I just completed the brakes on my Spyder and I had to redo about half of my flares. I blamed it on my flare kit and I had to get a new one and the flares were so much better with the new kit.

Before you start adding fluid to your brake system, make sure you have plenty of rags and a spray cleaner ( I used QD contact cleaner ) so you can quickly clean up any brake fluid that gets spilled.

Paul

·
Senior Charter Member
2,969 Posts
Hi John

I was able to use preflared lines without making crazy pig tails to take up extra length. I picked up a bunch of extra lines (of different length) and made everything fit really well then I returned the left overs. I may have wasted 2 or 3 pieces in the process. I wasn't experienced (or confident) enough to flare my lines. Too cheap to buy a really good kit also. I guess I could have borrowed one...?

I flared the brake line tubing I used for the wiper cable...those flares confirmed that I had made a good decision on using preflared lines.

Marc

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I used a combination of preflared lines and I did some of my own. I used a cheap Harbor Freight flaring tool. All flares are double flared which I think makes it easier to get them centered. Oh yea, I didn't use stainless steel tubing...it is way too hard and impossible...at least for me...to get a good flare.

I used some heavy rod to make my patterns with. It's the rod that is used to hang false ceilings. Works great. Keeps it form much better than baling wire. Welding rod would also work but is too short to make a single complete run.

Last, I measured and bent up a bunch of samples that I could match to the patterns to find where to start the tube bender.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Yes the flare needs to be centered and it needs to be a double flare. It's not that hard to do with a steel line but it takes a bit of practice. Purchase a flaring tool that is set up for doulbe flares and take a short section on line and practice on that. I got my tubing cutter, bending tool and flaring kit from JEGS and it worked fine for steel lines. Other souces are out there but you will need a tubing cutter to insure that the cut is correct for flaring with the flaring tool. The tubing bender is a must to avoid crimping the lines , if this happens start over. You can get lots of info on brake line prep if you enter the following
go to Google and enter site:ffcars.com brake line flaring or anything else you wish to find. I found this on the forum and it is a great source of info, SAI mod, Ackerman, anything you wish to learn about.
HTH
CB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.