Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody happens to have some pictures that show the best routing of the brake lines.

I bought the pre-bent kit for the IRS from Tristates but I am not sure if I am going to be able to use it (at least the hard line part).

Thanks,
Lukas

·
Senior Charter Member
1,222 Posts
You shold be able to use the kit from tristates with out too much trouble. I know that Podus has the Tristates rear line on his car, but he did have to bend the rear lines where it comes up from the driverside frame rail so that it wasnt so close to the LCA. He is using standard length control arms not pindrive but having pindrive shouldnt change anything.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
849 Posts
Lukas - Did you flip your calipers to the front side so you could use the VPM sway bar? That's what I did. I don't have any good pictures of my brake lines but will try to take some. I used NAPA preflared lines with the flex stainless lines connecting to caliper. Since the NAPA lines come in predetermined lengths I cut copper wires up in those lengths and mocked them up to see which line lgths to buy. One of the challanges I had was the Lokar ebrake cable came really close to the spinning CV joint. I made an L shaped bracket to keep it away and protected.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Lukas, I used the tristates lines with flipped irs/pin spindle setup as well. No problem. The main thing was paying more attention to how the braided lines go to each caliper since the lines are now longer than they need to be due to the narrowed rear. It's best to have your wheels available so you see how much clearance you really do/don't have.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I should have specified this a bit more.

I am using pin drive IRS and I switched the spindles side to side so the calipers are in the front. Like JimmyHunt said, this is necessary to use the VPM swaybar which I plan on getting at some point when funds allow it.

The pics from LNJs website are pretty good for brake lines, but I would like to see how to route the flex line since it is going in a different position (front instead of back of spindle).

In the position suggested in the instructions, they are much too long and get in the way of the upper control arms (could be pinched between frame and upper arm if suspension bottoms out) and will probably touch the wheel.

JimmyHunt,
I would really appreciate if you get a chance to take a pic or two. Its not urgent since it will be a long time before I ever need brakes anyway...

Jim,
Unfortunately I cant mock up the wheel yet because my IRS hubs dont fit. That will have to wait until I get new ones from the states.

Thanks again to all!
Lukas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts