Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ready to install the brake lines and want to do it right the first time since I'm not a master brake line bender. a few Qs? Can someone please confirm.

Q1: Stock Mustang MC has 3 ports -- two "exit" ports on side to be directed to "in" ports on dist block. One "exit" ports on bottom of MC goes directly to driver side front caliper hose.

Two "exit" ports on Dist Block - one for rear and the other for front passenger.

Q2: where is best place for connecting the hose brackets (stock from mustang). I am using russel SS hoses.

Q3: what is best way to mount the rear hose: Russel rear T-hose to the frame?

If someone has a picture of the stock MC/Dist Block it would be very helpful for locating the compenents.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I can confirm Q1.
On the distribution block, the port towards the front of the car goes to the rear brakes and the port closest to the firewall goes to the passenger fronts.

Q2: I just attached the stock mustang brackets to the frame so the line ran through the slot in the "F-panel". Since then I've seen shots on the forum where guys have drilled a hole in the "f-panel" and run them through there, which I think looks a lot cleaner. Wish I would have done that.

Q3: Don't know what the Russel "T" looks like. I just mounted the stock donor bracket to the frame next to the roll bar support like it describes in the manual. Hope this helps!

·
Just Pluggin Along
1,175 Posts
Q1: As stated above, you are correct.

Q2: Did not like the Russel braided lines and went with the Tri-states lines. I just drilled a hole in the F panels for the hoses to attach to the hard brake lines. Nice and clean.

Q3: I used the Breeze bracket to attach the rear line to the frame. Hangs lower than the stock bracket, which gives a little more flex room for the brake line.

As far as the MC and the distribution block, I left them attached when I removed them from the donor. Then just installed in build using the same lines (cleaned up). I highly recommend you purchase pre-flared brake lines and adapters. Much easier than double-flaring your own lines and the cost is less than a decent double flaring tool.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
dkrawec

I've been working the same issue with Russell lines. I didn't like the stock replacement hose in the F panel. It tends to run into the tire or the spring. Using the stock bracket (which I don't have) or Breezes aim's the hose down. This looks like it will provide plenty of clearance as the wheel turns and the suspension moves.

I'm going to look at my rear bracket to see if I want to add the Breeze unit there as well. My banjo bolt is too long for the Russel rear line fitting. I haven't been able to find a replacement so I'm planning to shorten it.

I am also using preflared tubing using the length's called out in the FAQ.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was hoping to secure the Russell hose to the F-panel. I have not done it yet, but I hope it will fit ok.

Assuming this works, I was planning to use one of the front donor brackets (I do not have the original rear braket from the car) to hold the rear Russel hose to the cobra frame.

I have not figured out how to hold the hose and lines to the center part of the axle. I was thinking of to trying to use some stainless steel hose clamps to secure the Russell T-block to one of the UCA mounts on the axle (not being used since I have the 3 link set up.

Any thoughts out there on this? :eek:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jerry,

Now you have me worried about the banjo nut not fitting the new rear russell hose block. I need to run home and see if I have the same problem.....

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
dkrawec

Do you have the original rear hose with bracket attached? This is the best thing to mount the rear brake line to. Just grind off the mounting tab on the bottom of the bracket and the Ford hose comes off. I drilled and the chiseled. Drill a hole for a bolt. I filed it square and I used a carraige bolt with a lock nut.

After playing around with this stuff for a while and drilling a hole in the F panel where it definitely will hit the tire, I decided to splurge and spend the $22 bucks to get the stainless hardware from Breeze. I have the original bracket in the rear but will probably get that from Breeze as well. I'm off to look at the rear hose now. The only reason I'm even hesitating is that I've already run the hard line to the fitting.

Finding the Ford spring clips is a challenge. Couldn't find them in 3 auto parts stores and the woman at the Ford counter told me they were discontinued. I suspect they still use the same part but they didn't stock any for me to look at. Breeze carries them too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks.

When you say to drill a hole for a bolt, I assume you mean in the Russel "T"? If so, can I just drill anywhere through the "square" portion?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
616 Posts
Don't drill the "T" it should already have a hole in it for a bolt. The hole should be drilled in the metal bracket that supported the old hose.

Donny

1 - 11 of 11 Posts