Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Tri-States the only vendor that sells a complete prebent brake line kit? I've searched all over the forum and vendors and they seem to be the only ones? On their website it says MK I & II and then says Mustang lines will fit MK III. I want all new prebent lines....this is one thing I don't want to re-use or cobble up myself.
Russ.

[ November 19, 2006, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Scalded Dog ]

·
near graduate!
575 Posts
PM sent

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Its a great setup. I used the tri states lines on three builds...saves hours and does a quality job.

I am about to order another set.

They will last foraver and look great. Stuff like brakelines make a huge difference in the way the build looks. that said...its also got to be safer than a lot of the alternatives.

·
4,494 Posts
Call tri-states. If they say they have a set that will fit a Mark III, then I would take them at their word, they are honest people.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys,

I have Cobra brakes from a '95.

Marky, Thanks I've dealt with Tri-States and they are good. Doing custom brake lines is one thing I've never done. You're right about that....that's one potential disaster I won't have to worry about.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yes and No. I purchased mine from him. Took everything over to his place, explained in great detail my set up, and when I went back to pick everything up....He wanted extra money for the rear lines from the terminal block out to the rear brakes. Said he did not know my set up! Cut me a brake. I also ended up having to rebend some of them, and stainless is a hard material.

That said, the stainless lines are a nice addition. I would be very clear with TriState what you have and what you want and what you are getting for your money. Put it in writing and hold him to it. He has a different business Philosophy than most of the vendors on the forum.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
off the shelf the tri states work well with most setups. If you have a specific setup which is different, clearly they won't work without modification.
I think the Tri states pre bent lines are a great value.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
5N4K3, Thanks I emailed Mike at Tri-States with my exact setup.

·
Junior Charter Member
28 Posts
SD,
i got the their pre bent line kit for my MK 3. I wasn't smart enough to tell them to use all the same size fittings as i wasn't using the stock proportioning valve. I had to cut, bend and reflare several lines to work with my CNC MC. That being said it think they came out pretty nice. Good luck.

Rich

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Be careful getting your lines from Tri-States. When I rec'd mine, I didn't like how they fit with the IRS....Ugly!

Despite having only bent 1 line (the others being pristine) Tri-Staes refused any credit back to me. Expensive lesson learned.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A lot of mixed reviews. I assume they are the only vendor that sells the pre-bent lines? I did an extensive search on the vendors and couldn't find any others.

Thanks for all the replys.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I have a Mark II. The front lines fit fine. For the rear, IRS, (which is what I ordered) I had to redo them all.

Buddy

·
Junior Charter Member
1,066 Posts
I did the Tri-States on my first build and everything fit ok (3-link) but I didn't like all the connectors and loops. This build I used pre-flaired lines from NAPA. It is not difficult to bend the lines and you can get a much cleaner installation for a fraction of the cost.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I spoke with Mike and he says since I have a Cobra brake setup I would need either the Cobra MC or the Jeep MC. He's says a brake shop can do the mod required to make this fit very easily. He says an adapter and bending is required. My question is has anybody modified the Tri-States brake kit to fit a Cobra/Jeep MC and if so can they post pics?

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can some one post a picture of the Tri-States lines installed?

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ttt

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really need to see a pic of how you connect the Tri-States lines to a Cobra MC.

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
i ordered the tristates and ended up using very few of the lines...my biggest grip were the different size or wrong size fittings for the soft lines that go to the calipers...i have a spare set for the axle if ya need'em...feel free to come by and look...i have the cobra MC too, but changed things around to accomadate a line lock kit....my advice is save your money and bend your own preflared from NAPA...oh and for the MC you'll need adapter fittings

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Grego, I got the MC and adapter fittings from Breeze. As you can see from this post there's some controversy with Tri-States. Some have said they don't like the way they route? Mark Reynolds should do some pre-bents. His stuff is top notch and I'm sure he would sell the heck out of them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts