Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to run the brake lines from the wilwood MCs to a bulkhead fitting instead of thru a hole and grommet. My question is, are the -3 AN bulkhead fittings going to fit 3/16 brake lines? If I remember right, -3 = 3/16 line. But is the flare the same etc. I can't find much info on supplier web sites about the compatability.

This is one that I had in mind. I know that I can get these in 90' and 45' also. Before I order I was just wondering if anybody here had info if they would work with brake lines.

Thanks
Mike M.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
I don't think the are the same. I do know Aeroquip makes adapters that go from 3AN to 3/8-24 (which is what a 3/16 line is).

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
AN flares are 37 deg, SAE flares are 45 deg, and if the SAE flares are on a brake line, they should be double flared. AN flares are never double flared. The two different types of flares and fittings are not compatable. If you want to use AN bulk head fittings, they need to be steel fittings. Aluminum fittings are not safe to use in a brake system. You can get steel AN -3 fittings from just about any performance shop, like the Chassis Shop or Coleman racing. If you want to go a little cheaper, Aircraft Spruce has them with a black oxide coating, they look ugly, but will do the job just fine.
3/16' tubing can be flared to 37 deg for use with AN fittings. I used all stainless steel brake tubing, and AN fittings throughout my build.
John

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I was looking in the wrong direction. So has anybody seen an SAE off the shelf brake line bulkhead fitting? I've been pretty happy using the pre-flared lengths of 3/16" brake line and just wondered what would be compatible to get this line thru the bottom of the firewall.

Mike M.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Mike, I've never seen a bulkhead fitting in 45 degree SAE flare, which is what you have been using. I looked throught the entire Eaton Weatherhead fitting catalog (160 pages) and there's nothing there.

·
Cone Killer
1,781 Posts
Inline Tube has 2" and 2.5" thru-frame fittings. They are -3AN one end and 1/8 npt on the other. You could just use an adapter then.

Perry

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
What you will need to do is call classic tube have them make you braided steel lines to your spec. You can buy fittings from whatever size your master is to 3an . Then you can use the bulkhead fitting. On the other end you may need 2 adapters , #1 -3an to 1/8pipe(ithink) and then to a female to fit your 3/16 steel line. All should be available from classic tube. Always use double flares on brake lines never compression fittings. Bob

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Guys, he's looking for a bulkhead fitting that's SAE on both sides for his firewall.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Joe and the rest of you guys!

I don't have all the right tools to flare a double flare AN fitting. Since I can't find the fitting I think I need and short of buying the tools, I think that I'm leaning toward drilling holes in the firewall and running the lines thru a grommet.

Has anybody else ran a brake line from inside the footbox to the outside and done something different than the old hole and grommet trick?

I have a feeling that I might have been asking the wrong questions or looking for the wrong parts. It doesn't sound it but I really am just trying to keep it simple.

Thanks, Mike M.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Mike, if you want to use a proper bulkhead fitting, get everything set up and come to my house. You can either borrow my 37 degree flaring tool or I'll do it for you while you wait.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts