Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, here is the problem, I have a mustang brake light switch, which has 2 pins. on the harness there is one wire that says brake lights, which then connects to a blue wire that says 3rd brake lights. well the problem is which one am I hooking the white wire up to? and what am I using on the second pin for the brake light switch? power? ground? please help... also on the tail lights you have a green, red and black, and I using the 3rd brake light wire for the green? or red wire?

·
7,906 Posts
according to the painless book orange goes to one side of the switch and white goes to the other side. the white then gets capped and orange goes to the brake lights. I geuss the white and orange are spliced together. Your american should be similar
As for the green or red, test them to see which is bright and which is dim. I have found that they can vary from light to light

[ November 14, 2004, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Michael Everson ]

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the terminal in this? Are you talking about the 2 pins on the brake light switch? Or am I taking the brake light wire and connecting it to both pins on the brake light switch?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
What white wire are you referring to??? Take the blue "3rd brake lights" wire and cut it. Install the ends on the brake light switch. Attach the bright filaments of two of the tail light assemblies to the other end of the blue wire at the back of the vehicle.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
711 Posts
There are 3 wires that are used from your harness for the brake light switch. The white and Blue are on one pin and the orange is on the other.

If you have any additional problems talk with Donnie in the tech department at American Auto Wire.

Raymond

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welp, a long long time ago my evil twin started messing with the wiring and has since misplaced the manual. Ever since I've been doing things the old fashioned way of "Hey let's see if this works!"

So I guess the question becomes, what kind of wire should I be running to each end? I assume one pin on the brake light switch is the power and the other is for the light itself. Then I suppose the question becomes, where do I draw the power from?

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
I have the same setup. Just went down and took a peek for you. The orange and blue wires hook to the brake switch and the white wire is not used. The harness comes prewired for a brake switch and no cutting was necessary if I remember correctly. Definitely blue and orange to the brake switch though.
Raul

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Alrighty, here's what I've got as far as the wiring department. As far as the orange wire, which one are you referring to? As depicted in the picture, my white 3rd brake light wire is the blue wire. Unless there's another blue wire I'm missing somewhere.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay talked to donnie this morning and still confused, he told me that the white wire does in fact get used, but I hook it to the turn signal power, then the orange wire, which I have yet to find goes to the brake light switch, so where does the other pin get hooked up to? also using his therory, how in gods green earth are the tail lights going to come on? pics pleae or a dummies guide to the brake light switch needed here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts