Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The wife and I picked-up a MKII that was owner built in 2004/2005. The car had been sitting basically for 1 1/2 years and rarely driven. The previous owner was a member here, so someone may remember him (Shodan, FFR#5000). Anyway, I have a few bugs to work out, but the car is very nice.

One of the biggest bugs is that the brake lights are not working. At the pedal there is only a gutted, loose switch and I do not even see any wires anywhere for it. Is there some other kind of set-up for brake lights that I'm not aware of??

I would ask the previous owner about this, but he is apparently no longer in the picture and we bought it from his now ex - we believe, and she does not know anything about the car.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

David -

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
Welcome to the forum David. Yes, we remember Shodan. Sorry to hear about his troubles.
We'll be very happy to help you work out the bugs.
As I understand it, the switch must be missing a part or two. It's a simple affair but not when you don't have it all.

I'll do some searches for you and you can try the archives yourself. I know I've seen several threads on the subject, including pictures.

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,701 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new purchase.

Probably the easiest way to fix your brake lights is to an a new aftermarket switch like this one

Should be less then $5 at your local AutoZone - note the part number on the box

You should already have a bracket by your brake pedal - I think it was for the cruise control dump switch. You can use it as is or add a little extension like I did in the pic. Then its just a matter of connecting your two brake wires and you should be in business

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Did the brake lights ever work or no? If they worked once, but there are no wires at the brake switch, perhaps there is a pressure switch somewhere in the brake lines.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,842 Posts
I'm with Bob. If the car was registered they had to have worked at some point. If there are no wires any where near the pedal switch I would look for an in line pressure switch. Start at the master cylinder and work along the lines, if its there its probably not to far away. If you don't find a pressure switch anyplace I'm afraid you may have a hunt on your hands trying to find the correct wires to use for what ever switch you decide to go with. I hate it when this kind of thing happens. :( Good luck Dave

·
Senior Charter Member
3,085 Posts
Are the turn signals working properly? Or blinking furiously?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the help! I've been busy all day tweeking, changing the wheels, re-adjusting the rear coilovers, etc.. and while under the car I did notice an inline switch in the brake line along the drivers side of the frame. I also went through some of the receipts and found one for Ron Francis Wiring and a brake switch. Is that what I'm looking for? How does a switch like this work? The only brake switches I have ever seen are at the pedal. The car has been sitting (mostly) for a long time - maybe it went bad or something?

Regarding the turn signals, yes. They work fine, as do the other lights.

Again, thanks for all the help. This is a great site!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
It's a pressure switch with a diaphragm and a spring. Put a jumper wire between the two terminals, or hook the two wires on the switch together, and the brake lights should illuminate if the switch is the problem

·
Junior Charter Member
68 Posts
Originally posted by DavidT:
The only brake switches I have ever seen are at the pedal.
The early VW Rabbit and it's derivatives had a pressure switch on the master cylinder. Seemed like a silly place for it, and I had trouble with every one I owned. If this were my car, I would change over to a pedal mounted switch, as they have been far less problematic in my experience.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for all the great info.

If I was to eliminate the pressure switch, would I just run the wires from it back to the pedal box and put in a new switch? I guess that kinda sounds like a dumb question, but I thought I'd better ask..

Cheers,

David -

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
Correct. Did you determine that the pressure switch is indeed the problem?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by PAB:
Correct. Did you determine that the pressure switch is indeed the problem?
Yep, that's it! I suspect that sitting for so long did it in. A $5 switch sounds like a good reliable fix to me.

Now on to the rest of my list.., but damn, this thing's gorgeous!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts