Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have managed to fumble my way through all the rest of the wiring except the brake lights. I'm using the painless wiring and a stock 94 brake pedal switch. I need to know which wires go to the switch and what other wires need to get hooked up to what. You will need to pretend your talking to a 5 year old. :rolleyes: It's got to be specific or I'm lost. Sorry, I know this has been covered but I'm just not getting it.

I also have another question along the same lines. In the manual and I've seen some posts where people talk about wiring the top rear lights for brakes and the bottom for turn. I've got both top and bottom blinking and that doesn't bother me but I'm curious. There is only one wire per side that runs both the brakes and turn signal. How can you split the brakes and turn signal to run on two different lights if they come out of the same wire? Thanks folks and sorry for making you go over things for the 50th time.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
There are two wires in the "engine section" of the harness that are clearly marked for the brake switch. You'll need to reroute them to the pedal box area if you're using a pedal mounted switch. No doubt someone will post the colors and wire numbers for you before I can make it out to the garage to check. Part 2 of your question is best left to someone who's done it...I'm still installing my wiring.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hi Kevin,

I'd like to say I can help, but I am also electricaly challenged. When I came to this part of the build I sat down with a box of fuses and started connecting wires until I got it the way I wanted it. As I remeber I had to make up some extra wire to go from one side to the other. Make sure you have a good ground on both sides and don't forget that you'll need an extra wire for the tag light.

Best of luck,

Brent

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
In the Painless set up, there is an orange and a white (sorry, I don't have manual available but I'm sure they are listed) that operate your brake light circuit.

The threads you have read about permit you to have 4 brake lights instead of only 2 with a normal hookup (on a std hook up, one light is for blinker and one is for brake) How you got 4 blinkers to work is a mystery, quite frankly, unless you also have no brake lights (which, IMHO, is not a good thing!) Actually, your post seems to be incorrect that there is "only one wire" for the brake and blinker -- look for the orange and white wires!!!) The way to get 4 brake lights (strictly for more visibility and safety from being rear ended) is to purchase a trailer wiring kit (U-Haul carries them) so that your "tow vehicle" can properly tow a trailer. When you hook it up, you "pretend" that the top lights are the tow vehicle and the bottom lights are the trailer and it works- you still have 4 brake lights and 1 left and 1 right blinker - as needed.

[ June 15, 2002, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: Dior55 ]

·
Charter Member
127 Posts
Hey Kevin. The best $26.00
I spent was for a Helms wiring diagram. It comes in booket form and is very easy to understand. It will leave no doubt in your mind which wire goes where. Their web address is; www.helminc.com

Bruce A.

[ June 15, 2002, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: cop w/ a cobra ]

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Cop w/Cobra, a Helms will not help this soul, as he is not using a Mustang donor wiring harness. He's gone with a Painless Wiring Kit, probably because he's going carb, so he a Helm's layout will do zero for him.
Co

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I've got it figured out. Your right Dior, painless and a carb. I can't figure out how the white wire hooks up to the turn signal section and I just don't care anymore. The orange wire for the 3rd brake light is working so I'll just use that for the brakes. Good enough. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
The facility to "blink" the brake lights is in the turn signal switch. If you are using a toggle type switch, you won't have that capability. Use the third brake light wire to power both your brake light bulbs. So you'll have 4 tail lights, 2 turn signals (lowers) and 2 brake lights (uppers). If you use the donor switch, I you'll need to know the Mustang wiring scheme and translate that to the painless colors. If you use Russ's switch (or Tristates or North Cobras or Finishline, etc)then they'll furnish wiring instructions for their particular switch.
Happy motoring

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.