Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching third brake lights for the cobra and I think the basic chrome license plate frame seems like it will work best for me. I know there are lots of other options, on the roll bars, on the deck behind the passengers, etc, but the license plate frame seems the least intrussive and simplest to implement. Here's a picture I found from an old post:

But I have a few questions about these for anyone who has used them or knows about them:
1. How tall is the LED light bar? Does it block all the light from the license plate light?
2. It looks tight between the license plate light and the trunk handle. Does it really fit OK?
3. Are the LED's bright enough to really work well as a 3rd brake light?
4. Does it still seem effective even though it's not any higher than the regular tail lights? (I'd think that just having a light that's not already on at night would help)

Thanks for any help/advice you can provide.
--Bret

·
Charter Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Doesn't anyone have experience with these things?

·
Premium Member
2,718 Posts
Bret,
Is your third brake light required in Oregon? I bought one to possibly install even though it was not required in Ct. After seeing the possible tight fit, I opted to not install it and returned it. I like the simpler, cleaner look without it. My car is still wired for it in case I ever see a more compact on later.

-Steve

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Bret,

At the Foliage Run, I noticed that Henry (65 Cobra Dude) has that type of third brake light on his GTM. I thought it was a nice, clean look. If you are required to have the 3rd brake light, it is a nice way to go. Perhaps he will chime in here or you could PM him.

Here is a pic I took of his plate frame...

-Jon A.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
Just some food for thought: I never had anyone hit me from the rear, until I bought a car with a third brake light. :rolleyes:
John

·
Charter Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 3rd brake light is not required in Oregon, but I think for safety reasons it is a good idea. Having that extra visibility when you're stoping can help avoid an accident. I've heard people complain about how dim the little round tail lights are anyway, so this would help.

Steve, how bad was the fit? Did it look like alterations would be required or that it would jsut be tight?
Thanks for the pic Jon. That looks like a different brand, but the lump for the LED's does look like it would get in the way of the license plate light.

Any other input?
Thanks! --Bret

·
Charter Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Rod, that's the one I was considering. If I could find just the strip of LED's (about width of the license plate) that were bright enough, I'd just mount them to the plate and skip the frame.

I've searched all over the web and I don't find a simple third brake light strip that's shorter than 49". Plastic shaped ones exist, but they're bigger than I want and long strips exist but they're longer than I want. Anyone see a short strip?

Thanks! ---Bret

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
How about running some LED light bulbs in your tail/stop lights(what I plan on using). Another idea is you could also buy the frame and cut it up,and just use the lighted section only.Drill and tap some holes in the back on the ends,and attach through the top of the plate with some 10/32 button head bolts. Neat and clean.

·
Charter Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Rod. Those are pretty nice, but just a bit too big. But it made me think to search for "stop light" as well as "brake light" which got me some more interesting hits. I also found these:
http://www.signaldynamics.com/products/LightBars/ulb.asp which are pretty close to what I'm looking for.

Snkbte, I was thinking about getting one of those frames and cutting it up, but it seemed like a shame to have to do that (and figured I could save some money too).

I'll keep searching around and post it if I find what I'm looking for. Thanks! --Bret

·
Charter Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I found another one on ebay that might be what I'm looking for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-NIGHT-EXIT-ACCENT-BAR-ROOM-EMERGENCY-LIGHT-LIGHTING_W0QQitemZ170042254856QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3201QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's 2" x 5/8" x 3/8" thick. I was thinking that if I got 2 (maybe 3) of them and put them on the top, middle of the lecense plate that it should work quite well. My only concern is that they may not be bright enough. I'm checking with the seller to make sure they are high intensity and then I'll probably just pick up a couple and see if they work.

What do you guys think?

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
As long as they are bright enough, they look like they could be perfect.

·
Charter Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I was able to talk to their tech guy and he assured me that they are plenty bright enough. I have 2 on order and I'll see how they work and look when I get them.

·
Charter Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I received these and they are quite bright. 2 of these together at the center, top of the license plate should do the trick. I can then run the wires under the license plate light piece and it should look OK and not take up much space. They are clear when not lit so most folks won't even notice them until I hit the brakes. I think they'll work great! -Bret

1 - 15 of 15 Posts