1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Delivered 05/11/07
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear Brake IRS:
Note the brake line at the banjo bolt:

This looks “natural” but results in a rather poor run:

In this configuration, the brake line at the banjo bolt does not have a side adjacent to the caliper, but results in a much cleaner run.

Is this OK?

Thanks

·
Junior Charter Member
294 Posts
The second option is closer. The tab should be mounted on the outside of the 1/2" diagonal support (parallel with the brake rotor.) The hard line will along the round tube, up the outside of the 2x2 tube and curl around behind the 1/2" diagonal tube.

·
Runs with scissors!
562 Posts
Edit - never mind.....I'm lost as usual!! LoL

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,700 Posts
I've only worked on one IRS car and that was a year ago but I am concerned about inside tire clearance on both examples.I've done the 315 mod on both a MkI and II ( I realize yours is a MkIII) so am quite familiar w/ fitting large rear tires.The first example 'might' be ok but the second looks like it will get hit for sure.In the next to last pic I think that 3/4x3/4 just behind the brake line and the orange handle of the clamp is the tube that runs out to the door latch area.If so I'd be concerned.I could be all wrong since I haven't worked on a MkIII which I realize have been changed, but Pls do a trial fit w/ a tire on the car.Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
BT, I noticed that the connector at the caliper has the angled cutoff. If you visit the Disc Brakes R Us website and go to their FFR build site, they show brake lines and they label the angled cut ones as "front lines". Although their build isn't an IRS I suspect the front lines should be the same. I'm also at the same point as you are and am trying every combination of the flex hose routing to find the best - the FFR manual certainly doesn't show this.

Bill Knapp

·
Registered
142 Posts
I got my braided lines from Disk Brakes r us and the banjo bolts are round. When you mount the brake line make sure it doesnt interfere with the Emergency Brake cable. I had to move mine around to make sure there was no contact.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,230 Posts
I would reconcider where you have your brake line support bracket mounted. It looks like it is right above the upper control arm and if you ever bottom out the rear suspension the control arm may hit that bracket. Your shocks may bottom out first but this can happen with the proshocks. Just something to keep in mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts