Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys. So I'm getting ready to work on the cobra again once spring rolls around (there isn't any heat in my garage so the winter hasn't seen much work on it) and I was starting to think about inspection as the car is getting quite close to that. I read through the details as to what the car needs to pass multiple times and the one thing I'm a little stuck on is the brake failure light? I've heard people say reservoir sensors and was curious how to go about putting those in and wiring. Let me know how you guys got through that.

Everything else about it seems pretty straight forward (I have side pipe covers lined up, not planning on installing a passenger seat so I can avoid the second roll bar, got cats lined up too, and all the other fun stuff). But just curious, anything else I should look out for? I know to go to Morristown as they'll give me an easier time.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
I know to go to Morristown as they'll give me an easier time.
Morristown has been permanently closed since Hurricane Sandy.

Low pressure brake line switches are an easy wiring job, power, and ground.

Ground clearance if all four tires are flat is an issue, you will need at least 17" rims to pass.

Bill S.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I've got 17 inch wheels and ground clearness seems fine, nothing really below the 4 inch tubes as far as I can tell. But what recommendations do you have as far as what to get for the brake failure sensor?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Dbecks -

Ive been through it twice in rapid succession, both times at the Asbury facility (though I am from Montclair) and passed both times without any real issues. Here is a post on my blog about it that pretty much details the experience.

My advice is that when you call to make your appointment, make sure to talk to the inspector who is going to be doing your inspection AHEAD of time. He will tell EXACTLY what he's going to be looking for and can answer questions that you may have.

On my first build, I used one of the brake sensors that Bill suggested, but they make no sense as to how they should be wired or installed. On that build, I was using the stock reservoirs where you see how much fluid is in them, so I didn't feel that a sensor was an imperative and I installed a light that was connected to nothing; it is not as if they are going to make you test your brake failure light (not to mention that it is not listed in that packet of information you get from the state which details what is necessary).

On my second build, I used those nice metal reservoirs through which you can not determine the level of brake fluid from the outside. In that case, I decided to buy some fluid level sensors and rig them to work inside the reservoir to monitor the amount of brake fluid. It required some handiwork to set them just right, but Im happy they are there. In neither inspection was there any issues with the brake light, and it only came up in the pre-inspection briefing on the phone to make sure that it was there.

Happy to answer any more questions and hope that this helps.

Jon

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I have the CNC reservoirs too so I have heard people runs setups lIke that where they rigged them inside. I'm gonna run over to Advance Auto or Auto Zone and try and find one that might work.

·
8,350 Posts
I saw in a post over the last few days that Mike Forte has the reservoir fluid sensors that you need. There were pics from Mike, but I can't find it now. Anyone?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts