Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there really a need for the dust plates? If Im driving in good weather all the time I'd rather leave them off for easy inspections.

Craig

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Nope

·
Registered
464 Posts
They are not for dust, they are splash shields to keep water from hitting the hot rotors and pads.
I have them on the front just because I thought they looked cool. New ones from Ford were $11.00 each. The donor ones I had were in pretty bad shape. Can't get new ones for the T-Bird rear hubs though so not using any in the back.
I can't imagine they would make a difference either way on one of these cars because they are mostly fair weather vehicles. IMO

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Pretend it's a Frisbee and aim for the nearest dumpster..

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
what could it hurt to use'em...i figured that since they are on most every car manufactured in the world....it can't be a bad idea

·
Charter Member
155 Posts
Max @ Fivestar got me all four for 34.00!

They sure are pretty new...

AND besides Detroit would'nt put them on if they were'nt absolutely necessary!

·
iBuild
5,824 Posts
I'm with Mike on this one. Mine were in really bad shape, ended up cutting them off and grinding the studs clean. I think its a much cleaner look without them.

-Scott

·
Junior Charter Member
148 Posts
I took mine off and gained 2/10 of a sec. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I used them...seemed right somehow.

c

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
Nope on my Roadster
Nope on my GT40

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,696 Posts
Robert has the answer! But whether you use them or not is up to you and should depend on how the car will be driven.

·
Junior Charter Member
478 Posts
Ford had a reason to put them there, but a Cobra is not a Ford. I know people who've removed the shields from their street Mustangs and had no stopping issues in wet driving. Perhaps water hitting hot rotors results in surface cracks? I would think Ford's main reason was for dust control. Plus removing the shields probably insreases air flow to the disks so your brakes run cooler.

Bottom line, lots of people are running with and without the shields with no issues so do as you please and enjoy!

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Used them, powder coated them, they look real nice. Got caught in a downpour two weeks ago, can't help but think that they helped. Pete

1 - 20 of 23 Posts