Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite volumes of discussion on brakes, I couldn't find an answer to this question:

Do I need the OEM distribution block in order to get results from an adjustable proportioning valve?

I have 94GT brake hardware at all four corners and a 94 Mustang Cobra master cylinder. At present, I am not using the OEM distribution block. I just have the rear port running to the front brakes and the front port running to the rear brakes. I have the Fox pedal box with the pedal mod, no power assist.

I already have HP+ pads in the back, but I still have too much braking on the front wheels.

I've decided to add an adjustable proportioning valve to the front brakes, but I'm not sold on how this will help put more pressure on the rears without the distribution block.

So, do I need the distribution block? If I have it, should I gut it to remove the OEM proportioning valve that it contains (keeping just the shuttle valve)?

Thanks!

· FFCobra Craftsman
26,000 Posts
No you don't need the distribution block. It was set up to reduce rear brake pressure in the mustang. When we had them in the FFR most of us removed the proportioning function. I understand that the spec racers put a valve in the fronts so it will work for you too. The other option is a dual MC setup from CNC or Wilwood. Forte sells the CNC unit, at least he did 3 yrs ago when I got mine. I have the same as brakes you w/ HP+ in the rear and HPS in the front. The dual adjustable dual MC w/ 5/8 rear and 3/4 front MCs is the final fix.

· Registered
24 Posts
Running brake lines

98 GT donor brakes - I'm keeping the distribution block. Yes I know the arguments but I like the redundancy built into the block and I'd actually rather have slightly more pressure to the front - better they lock up so I can let off the pedal they the rears lock up too soon and I swap ends. Anyway, the question is how to run lines.

1. My MC only has two outlet lines, so the directions to run one line direct to left front brakes and the other two to the inlets on the block don't apply. Do I just run both MC lines to block and both front lines from the block?

2. My block has an extra open port (see pic) on the end that is not shown as hooked up to anything, at least on any schematic I've seen. It had a line running to something on my 98 GT (i know, should have labeled it better when ripping it apart). Can I just seal that off? What was that line running to?

Thanks in advance - hopefully someone else has run into these issues.

Shag

Attachments

· Registered
394 Posts
No distribution block. I had 95gt brakes all around and added front proportioning valve and that still wasn't enough. Kept turning it down until the fronts no longer locked but the rears still didn't lock - and I had power brakes. Finally went with the larger 11" Cobra rotors at the rear and HP+ pads and that worked. Actually need to turn down the rears with proportioning valve now (oem front brake pads).

· FFCobra Craftsman
26,000 Posts
Shag, just remove that block and replace w/ a couple of unions. then the MC ports should be as you stated: front port rear brakes, rear port front brakes.

· Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Call FFR - when I talked to them a while back, they said not to use the distribution block with the SN95 SVT brake components. Remember that the fronts handle the majority of braking and you want those to lock before the rears, lest you have the rollbar proceeding you down the road in an emergency braking scenario.

· Master of my Build
2,045 Posts

· Registered
1,633 Posts
Disagree with above. Many ford type mcs will lose pressure in both circuits when they lose pressure in one. Having the shuttle valve may save your life depending on your specific brake set up. That being said... I am not installing the block on my car.

· Registered
2,056 Posts
Many ford type mcs will lose pressure in both circuits when they lose pressure in one. Having the shuttle valve may save your life depending on your specific brake set up.
+1

That being said... I am not installing the block on my car.
+1

Great post! - I think it's very important that builders understand all the ramifications of what they're doing. I don't really care what they do, so long as they understand...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.