Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What did you paint the front Brake Calipers with? Just wondering they look nice now but will get rusty later. CalHusker

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
I used engine enamel, the high temp type. One year of driving and so far so good. Watch out for brake fluid drips though. Pete

·
Senior Charter Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw that the brake fluid eats the paint off things....Like the frame ooops..Thank you. I didn't think about engine enamel. Thats coming up next as I paint the engine block.
CalHusker

·
Junior Charter Member
5,413 Posts
These are small items and work well with the do it yourself powdercoat. There are a couple different products out there. You just use an oven to bake it on works great. Powdercoat stands up better to breakfuid although I don't think anything is impervious.

·
El Conquestador
1,089 Posts
O'reilly sells a brake calliper paint kit. It was about $20.00 and looks great. There was enough paint for more than (4) calipers.

I painted mine they look great, but they are still on the work bench. Hopefully I'll install them this weekend!!! I

·
Junior Charter Member
275 Posts
G2 sells a nice system as well. 3 years on my other car and it still looks like the day I did it.

Greg

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Clutchman - who, what, when, where is G2? Thanks

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
26,021 Posts
Duplicolor red caliper paint. So far so good. Will dissolve with brake fluid so be carefull when you bleed.

Greg

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
NAPA sells a brake caliper paint set, various colors. I used red and it's held up well so far, with a few track hours and some street.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Eastwood has a caliper paint kits in 9-10 colors.
Good for 900 deg, "protects components from harmfull oil and chemicals". Does not mention brake fluid though. I have the kit, but have not used it yet. I will let you know in about a year if it works out.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,055 Posts
I have used Eastwood on three of my cars. seems to hold up well

·
15,282 Posts
I used an off-the-shelf caliper paint kit also, in red. It's been on there two years and still looks great -- I'd used it again. Heck, I still have half of it in the can outside!

Cheers, John

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
I tried G2 once but be aware, they have a shelf life. Mine had not "expire" date and all I got was a clear with metaflake instead of silver. I got it off ebay and the guy never returned my emails. Got burned there.

I used Brake Caliper paint from Duplicolor and it seems to work fine but most of the spray type will all be susceptible to brake fluid so just be real careful when you bleed your brakes.

*EDIT* Here's pics of how my Duplicolor calipers came out after initial sandblasting:

[ December 14, 2006, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: 289FIA_Cobra ]

·
Junior Charter Member
791 Posts
G2 is what Eastwood sells, at least that's what I got this week when I ordered the gloss black caliper coating kit form them along with surface prep and a clear for aluminum suspension parts.

It's a two part kit with activator, I haven't opened it yet but looks like it mixes up with a popcicle stick and you only mix what you need. It'll be a month before I have time to try it, I'll take before/ after pics. I'm glad I didn't get it off ebay like 289FIA above, I didn't even think about shelf life.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=559&itemType=PRODUCT

I'm hoping with the 2 part chemical hardening it stands up to brake fluid/ heat better than rattle can, they sell that also. I used other brands of rattle can on another car and the BF washed it off in places.
Jon

·
Senior Charter Member
1,639 Posts
I bought mine from NAPA...easy to do and for $20 the price was right

·
Registered
416 Posts
Here is what mine looked like once painted with a duplicolor kit from autozone.

I have already got a fair amount of brake fluid on one from a little leak and it has stayed on just fine. Whish it would have matched my red powder coated parts, but still looks good.

·
Senior Charter Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Duplicolor caliper paint kit it is...

Thanks for the help and the great pictures..

CalHusker

·
Senior Charter Member
437 Posts
Did anyone find that it took a number of coats for solid coverage? I have put 4 coats of Dupli-color brush on yellow on my calipers and it needs more. It does not seem to take much product for a coat.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
TIA,
Rich

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.