Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Do not keep the plastic pistons. You are asking for a re occurrence. Buy a rebuilt caliper with steel pistons, or a rebuild kit with steel pistons.
I fought those plastic pistons on several Fords, before finding out what was going on.
Good luck,
How can I get a rebuilt one with steel pistons? Where can I buy them?

·
Junior Charter Member
2,889 Posts
When I built the car i dialed in the brake bias so all 4 wheels lock at the same time.
A little O/T, but this in not how you want your brakes set up. You want the fronts to lock before the rears. In a perfect world, your rears would never lock up and the fronts would be chattering (threshold braking). Here is why:

1. Fronts locked / rears still turning. Your rear tires still have traction and are acting like rudders. Your car will stay in the direction that it was pointed. You have lateral stability. If you lift off and re-apply, the nose of the car will be headed pretty much in the direction of travel.
2. All four locked. Your car can go in any direction. Often, it will follow the crown of the road and you slide into the ditch or guard rail. Or, you might spin. There is a loss of lateral stability. You will likely be pointed in a direction other then the car is actually headed. If you lift off, your tires grab, and you shoot into the ditch or other lane.
3. Fronts rolling / Rears locked. Now you are on a sufboard with the rudder in the front. You will likely be in for a snap spin.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts