Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The other day i was out driving my car and as i was approaching a red light i felt like my car was being held back, it felt like someone was lightly hitting the brakes. When i got home i hit all of the rotors with a infrared thermometer. All of them were around 120 except for the front right, it was almost 280. So I took the caliper and pads off, it was very heavily caked with brake dust. I cleaned it all up and i applied disc brake lube. Put everything back together and took it out for a drive. It seemed to be better and the car did not feel like it was being held back but when i got home and hit all of the rotors with the infrared thermometer again, the front right was still significantly hotter than the 3 other rotors. It seems as if the brake caliper is hung up and not rebounding after i let off the brakes. What should i do? Best way to correct this issue?

The brakes are the standard FFR disc brakes (PBR aluminum calipers) and the Wilwood pedal box. When I built the car i dialed in the brake bias so all 4 wheels lock at the same time. Car was built in 2015, currently has 5K miles.

·
Official OLD GUY
3,834 Posts
There have been quite a few posts about this issue, do a search for hung up caliper pistons or caliper hanging up on the spindle clearance issues.

Not knowing WHAT kind of brakes you have makes it hard to diagnose your problem . . . PBR, Wilwood, Factory FORD or some other "BoJac" brand or configuration.

Doc

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big blocker, thanks for the heads up, i forgot to say what my brake set up is. The brakes are the standard FFR disc brakes and the Wilwood pedal box. When I built the car i dialed in the brake bias so all 4 wheels lock at the same time.

Also I did a search of the forum but the search function has never worked well for me. I could not find a post with my issue.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Here u go.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks egchewy!!

I read the post and it seems that we have plastic pistons and the way to correct this issue is to possibly get replacement calipers. When i go to Napa, what kind of calipers should i be asking for?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Thanks egchewy!!

I read the post and it seems that we have plastic pistons and the way to correct this issue is to possibly get replacement calipers. When i go to Napa, what kind of calipers should i be asking for?
Jeff K mentioned 99-04 PBR calipers for Mustangs.
Or remove pistons and lightly sand them.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Do not keep the plastic pistons. You are asking for a re occurrence. Buy a rebuilt caliper with steel pistons, or a rebuild kit with steel pistons.
I fought those plastic pistons on several Fords, before finding out what was going on.
Good luck,

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have had this happen. Frustrating. Go get a replacement caliper at an auto parts store, replace it and flush the fluid annually and you might get lucky and have them last a while. I did extensive looking and could not find any steel pistons to rebuild them with or any matching calipers with steel pistons. I looked pretty hard. Please let me know if someone has any info on steel pistons. If you can try and bite the bullet and go with Wilwood or something else. I was limited due to 15"wheels and clearance.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Instead of checking the parts stores, check with some of the Mustang restoration equipment sites. Speedway might have something.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I checked around and couldnt come up with any solutions for my PBR calipers. Local place (gives me a discount) was the cheapest route. I think it was about $40 with core. Hardly worth trying to rebuild as I think the plastic (phenolic) piston is swollen and the main issue. I wish someone could come up with a solution.

·
2,930 Posts
I would just like to confirm that
you have the brake pads in correctly
the rivet spacing for the inside and outside are different.
also that
the caliper itself does not contact the spindle on the side of the mounting bolt.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked around and couldnt come up with any solutions for my PBR calipers. Local place (gives me a discount) was the cheapest route. I think it was about $40 with core. Hardly worth trying to rebuild as I think the plastic (phenolic) piston is swollen and the main issue. I wish someone could come up with a solution.
Just to confirm, you got new a new caliper from the parts store? What did you get, a caliper for a mustang from 99-04?

·
Registered
703 Posts
2000 ford mustang Advance Auto part #18B4722.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2000 ford mustang Advance Auto part #18B4722.

Why do these calipers have metal pistons and the calipers that came from FFR have plastic pistons?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Why do these calipers have metal pistons and the calipers that came from FFR have plastic pistons?
where did you see that it has metal pistons? i couldn't find it anywhere in the description.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I would guess they are phenolic pistons. Best price is the caliper without the bracket and reuse your bracket.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
where did you see that it has metal pistons? i couldn't find it anywhere in the description.
I did not see that in the description either. That’s why I’m asking. If they are the same pistons as I currently have, how would replacing my calipers help my situation?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I replaced mine because it was the easiest thing to do. I cant change calipers to a Wilwood setup because my 15"Halibrands will not clear any other caliper. The FFR hallibrands will allow for a different setup. My set has a lip that restricts the clearance.

I allowed my car to sit for several years will little to no use, and no brake flush. Built in 2012, so one caliper in 6 years isnt too bad, considering the lack of maintenance. Not the best situation, but at least the calipers are not very expensive or hard to get.

·
Registered
852 Posts
i'll add annual brake flush to my to do list

1 - 20 of 22 Posts