Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on using stainless steel braided hose under the hood with AN fittings. I bought a few hoses and fittings to start the process. Since the end of the hose gets a bit frayed is there a trick to getting the fitting over the end of the hose other than tightly wrapping it with tape? I assume a standard -10 AN fitting works with a -10 AN braided hose, meaning the SS braid doesn't require a different fitting. It looks like it's going to be a tight fit, but I guess that's a good thing.

·
Tool Collector
6,608 Posts
What are you cutting the hose with? Duct tape or packing tape around the hose first. The best results come with using a cut-off wheel to cut the hose. Less fraying. Then slide your compression nut over the hose with the tape still on. Take off the tape and press the fitting on and tighten the comprssion nut with the AN wrenches only. Let us know how it goes.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Mr. E: Use a cutoff wheel or the finest tooth hack saw or a carbide blade to cut the hose. Sometimes a little pre-planning will allow you to put multiple compression nuts on a factory cut hose in a one facing one way, one facing the other way style and then use a pair each time you cut a length from the big coil. You can also buy a trick little tool from Pegasus that holds the compression nut and has a tapered opening to insert the hose into. Ron

·
Junior Charter Member
123 Posts
I recently bought a dedicated cutter for this - looks similar to a tree limb pruner. The jaws are curved, so that it is cutting all around the hose, not just pinching it.

I think I paid $35 or so, from Summit racing. MUCH easier and neater results than I've ever gotten with a cut-off wheel or a hacksaw.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
I agree with L n L ,that cutter works great!
Paul M.

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
Ditto here

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.