Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to swap the stock Mustang tank for the Boyd tank. Who has done this swap? Any tips or tricks I should know? Does it mount with the same straps or do I need to fabricate new mounts of some sort?

And advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Bill

·
Buck
288 Posts
Bill

I looked into these awhile back and found out it should drop right in and the straps may need slight adjustments at the bend points. I'm having a hard time finding the threads I found now that the search function is on the fritz. Most folks seem to be very happy with the tank.

Buck

·
Registered
612 Posts
I did not use the straps. Dave Boyd welded flanges on the back and front to bolt to the two downriggers in front and the lateral square stock in the back.

Solidly mounts and is very secure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Man Cave Master Craftsman
483 Posts
Ditto on what Trevor said. The tank has higher capacity is well made and will mount without using the Factory Five tank straps. With the tank set in position, mark and drill right through the downriggers and tank mount flanges, you may need to add washers between the flanges and downriggers to take up any gaps, the rear tank mount is even easier to drill then the outriggers. While your at it you may need to upgrade your fuel pump and sender.

Saul

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/members/albums/69122-blown-5-0/blown-5-0-under-construction-mk4-roadster-vol-1-2578-picture34994-upgrading-baffled-24-gallon-boyd-custom-aluminum-fuel-tank-aeromotive-phantom-stealth-fuel-system-8-supply-6-return-lines-fuel-system-also-uses-ptfe-teflon-lined-stainless-flexible-stainless-hard-lines-throughout-e-85-flex-fuel-ready.html

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shoot! I wish I had known to ask for those mounts before I ordered the tank. Boyd was easy to work with. I had them weld in a custom sump in the back for fuel pickups. I currently run an A-1000 pump and I got a new floatless sending unit so once the tank is installed I will be all set. Maybe I can have my local fab guy weld the mounts on and not have to mess with the straps. That would be a cleaner install.

Do you have any more pics of the mounts that were welded to the tank??

Thanks!

Bill

·
Man Cave Master Craftsman
483 Posts
Here are some more pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some more pictures.
Awesome! My fab guy said, "No Problem". I think this is a huge improvement over the straps! Glad I asked!

Thanks!

Bill

·
Registered
612 Posts
Awesome! My fab guy said, "No Problem". I think this is a huge improvement over the straps! Glad I asked!

Thanks!

Bill
Check with Boyd. He'll probably give you the dimensions for bracket placement for your fab guy. Although you may be better off to take measurements and give to your fab guy. I had to cut the downriggers off, reworked and welded back for better alignment.

More pics are available on the thread below.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548625&share_tid=548625&share_fid=90891&share_type=t

·
Curious George
173 Posts
what sending unit are you guys using on this tank? I'll be using the OEM Coyote pack...

I think the option of having 20+ gallons will be very helpful! how many miles are you guys getting per tank?

·
Registered
612 Posts
I used a 240-33 Ohm tube float fuel level sending unit from Classic Instruments. For my tank I ordered an 11” deep sender. I also had them treat it so I could run E-85 fuel and not worry about moisture corrosion.

·
Curious George
173 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
That’s the one. As I recall, not treated for Ethanol.

Also I seem to recall that Boyd did not sell the tube style sender. He carried the traditional arm style. I had that style in my original tank and my fuel gauge level would oscillate significantly as I got below 1/2 tank. Likely due to little baffling in the tank. The tube style senders tend to suppress the wild swings and gives a more stable reading as the tank gets to the lower half. These type of senders are generally more expensive.

·
Curious George
173 Posts
. Just 91 octane for me, no corn - just headaches for me

Sounds like the tube one is worth the change

I removed the EFI kit from my order - I can surely get a fuel regulator and some lines for cheaper than $495

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts