Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
My lower Mustang radiator hose is part # Goodyear 52423

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,785 Posts
the old one looks like a 5.0 the new one looks like a 69 Mustang hose.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
No, Mine is formed. It looks like your old one. Let me check the actual hose. I'm going from my notes of replacement parts. Be back in a minute.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
The actual hose has no numbers on it. I wrote down 52423 and it looks like your old hose. I hope my notes are accurate.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I think you guys are mistaken. Per Sergio, it's Autozone #XL 1023. Check out this link and you can see a pic of it on Sergio's car. I have one in my garage but haven't put it on the car yet. Draining and refilling the radiator system sounds like a pain in the butt, and the 2-piece hose I have is working fine.

http://www.ffcars.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/082484.html

Jeff

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Michael

that's wierd, the Autozone page says it's a flex hose. yours is really molded?

Jeff:

the photos on the link you provided are no longer there.

man why is this so hard? aren't 99% of the FFR's out there using this hose?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Maybe they gave me the wrong hose, they gave you a wrong one. They don't discriminate they mess up for everyone.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Nice Guy - how timely! I just went to Autzone yesterday and picked up a new lower rad hose for a '93 GT. It looks identical to the bottom one in your photo. I also picked up the XL1023. I don't see how the XL 1023 should be routed? If I use the FFR hose provided and the new hose for the Mustang, they'll never line up!

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Guys, ditch the Mustang hose. It works, but you have to contort it around the frame. Use a lower hose from an '89-'93 Thunderbird V-6...

The hose has the same water pump size and routes MUCH more cleanly under the frame to the FFR supplied hose. My paperwork is from Autozone, PN D70557, but you should be able to pick it up at your favorite store by application. See these photos w/ T-Bird hose used...

HTH...
Mark

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I don't think the stock hose fits all that bad.

Michael S.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Michael, is yours straight off the donor or a Motorcraft hose? I'm finding that most aftermarket hoses are molded "in the middle" of two or more applications so they can sell less SKU's for more applications.

Same thing happened with my heater hose. I took a hose off of a 2.3 4-cyl. Mustang and a section worked perfectly for what I needed. I ordered a new one from Discount Advance Auto Parts and it wasn't molded as "cleanly" as the OE hose. I got it to work, but the Ford OE hose was perfect...

Just a thought...

Mark

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
MM, I didn't have a donor. I only used selected vintage parts. So, the hose is straight from Kragen/Checkers. If you see by my previous post my # doesn't add up, it should be a corrugated hose. All I can think of is the guy behind the counter knew what I needed and gave me a number for a cheaper part. He seems to undercharge me quite often or will exchange my parts for better ones without an up-charge. Needless to say I do all my local shopping there.

Michael S.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Best upgrade I have made is using a Durango lower hose.

Its the exact shape and one piece.

On hard acceleration the lower hose has been known to seperate.

The Durango hose (1998 I believe) needs opening up which is a real PITA but fits very well.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
If you want to replace the FFR supplied part the info for that hose is:

D71162
'83 Buick Century
3.0 V-6 Lower Hose

That hose, with the T-Bird hose, and the FFR coupler is what's in my photos above Eddie...

HTH...
Mark

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks mark for chiming in.

i just went to Autozone with your part number and the "other" part number and it was the same (shorter) one they brought out for me yesterday.

it is 2" shorter than mine... (on the joining side) just barely too short for my application.

why does this have to be so hard ?!?!? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

i keep excellent records of my build... all hours, every penny spent... including acetone and blue tape... every single part, but i did not write down the part numbers as i went. now i am paying for that.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Well Eddie, your final option could be the one piece lower hose that some are using. I believe it is a Dodge Ram upper hose. I've posted about it before, I'm sure you can find the PN with a search of hose posts with my screen name...

Good luck...

Mark

1 - 20 of 30 Posts