Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Charter Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 351w from a neighbor, but I can't figure out what vehicle it came from.

The valve cover decal reads HG390CB, but I can't find the website I need. It also shows a C32B, R12, and S17, if those help.

It was built in January of 1973 according to the decal. it has a 2v carb with EGR (ugh!), and an FMX transmission attached.

Any input would be appreciated!

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
Sounds to me like it is a 390 not a 351w, but I am an admitted amateur......

·
Senior Charter Member
474 Posts
You need the casting number from the bottom side of the engine. Third letter (should be after D3) will be the car line.
A=ford, G=Comet,Montego,or Cyclone, J=Marine/Industrial, M=Mercury, O=Fairlane/Torino, S=Thunderbird, T=Truck, V=Lincoln, W=Cougar, Z=Munstang.

·
Official OLD GUY
3,874 Posts
Mr. Grant.

The easiest way to tell if it's a 351 or 390 is look at the junction between the intake manifold and the cylinder head . . . 351 will NOT look like it is part of the head while 390-428 will.

Also look where the pan bolts to the block, if the slant of the cylinders starts immediately at the pan/block junction then it is a 302-400 small block family. If there is a slight 1" to 1 1/2" vertical plane and then the slant of the cylinders, it is in the 352-428 family.

Small blocks will have 6 valve cover bolts, big blocks only five if memory serves me right.

HTH

Doc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts