Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any info using boost with CJ intake on 5.0 aluminator.
Will be building a custom setup with twin turbos.

·
33 Moderator
9,658 Posts
Depends on your goal. It's already overpowered unboosted for sane street driving. It's no comparison, but my previous 02 Mustang GT with a built big bore stroker and twin turbos was tuned for 9psi. About 1000 pounds heavier than the HR ... it was a handful to drive. Very rewarding to destroy unsuspecting ZO6s and Vipers!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the non boost tune done AED, was told they don't support the CJ intake, but would tune if i put on the boss intake. I want to use the CJ intake that i am running. The question (1) is there any problem with CJ intake and boost? (2) Is it just that tuners can't or don't want to do it?
It will be all custom with two garrett G-25-550 turbos, water to air coolers.

·
33 Moderator
9,658 Posts
I had the non boost tune done AED, was told they don't support the CJ intake, but would tune if i put on the boss intake. I want to use the CJ intake that i am running. The question (1) is there any problem with CJ intake and boost? (2) Is it just that tuners can't or don't want to do it?
It will be all custom with two garrett G-25-550 turbos, water to air coolers.
Sounds like you need to find a willing tuner. They only advise against nitrous oxide in the tech notes.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Not sure why AED won’t touch it. It’s been done. You may have to fabricate your own inlet to the intake, and if using a kit, you may have to move things around a little bit to clear the throttle body. AED is kinda funny. Call Lund. They are quite easy to work with and generally open minded about projects.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I had the CJ intake. I also had the Boss intake. Likely the issue is not the intake but rather the throttle body. I can tell you that I could not tune my car for off idle tip-in, tip-out driveability with the CJ throttle bodies. I was not satisfied at all. I tried for weeks with the monoblade and the twin 65mm throttle bodies. I finally went back to the Boss intake so I could run a round port throttle body (Accufab 84.5mm). Much easier to tune for good driveability characteristics was my experience. I now have ITBs and those were even easier to tune that the oval TBs.

I found that the oval TBs had stiction issues to overcome which made the drive-by-wire tuning very difficult. Major headache for me.

Good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for info!
What TB would you recommend for boost if i made adapter to the CJ.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thanks to all for info!
What TB would you recommend for boost if i made adapter to the CJ.
I can't speak to how well a round TB mated to an oval intake mouth through an adapter will work. But regarding your question on TB recommendation, many run the stock throttle body with forced induction very successfully so that is certainly an option (even on twin turbo setups). The Accufab 84.5 is also a good option. If it were me, I'd start with the stock throttle body first assuming you already have it. And if you don't already have it, it's the cheapest option and easiest to tune.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Most all the mustang guys switch to a round TB based intake when they go boost. Boss, 2018 mani, or the Holley Sniper intake are the more common applications. Uncommon to do it on the CJ. It can't be that big of an issue, just not common. The Roush and VMP blowers run an oval TB (but that is before the blower). Also, the VMP 67mm TB is the one to have for the CJ.

There is a ton of info on this if you join the mustang groups on Facebook. You can get feedback on going boost and keeping the CJ from people who have done it. More so than on here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will go with the stock boss, talked with AED and they have been there and it just does not work very good.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Will go with the stock boss, talked with AED and they have been there and it just does not work very good.
You should have no problem selling your CJ setup, they go for big money. You can probably find someone with a boss that would trade you plus cash. Again the Facebook groups seems to be the most active community for this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts