Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a preference for a particular boost controller or H2O/methanol injection system??? Scott

·
Charter Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I'd really like would be a system that would take my available boost and maintain the air /fuel ratio at a safe level. I think that a wide band O2 meter could be plugged into a MAF/fuel pressure regulator to optimize the a/f ratio. An adjustable water/ methanol system could be used to control detonation. With the current systems on the market this seems like a no-brainer to me, but I am not finding any stand alone system that is capable of that. What am I missing?? Scott

·
Registered
90 Posts
So, your looking for aftermarket EFI and not a boost controller as the title suggests?

There are many good systems. Holley 950, F.A.S.T., Electromotive is good but their customer service is some of the worst on the planet. There is also the eec-tuner if you are using a supported Ford eec.

I have an eec-tuner in my XR4Ti, but have a Pectel T6 to replace it. The Pectel stuff will control/monitor more things than you can even think of, but if you pay full price, it's VERY expensive. Used mostly by HIGH dollar pro race teams, and by auto manufacturers.

What systems have you looked at?

I personally don't like to set a target a/f and let the computer do all the thinking to adjust fuel/spark to achieve it. I prefer to spend a little time and actually come up with tables that give me the a/f numbers I want.

·
Charter Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're probably right about the aftermarket efi vs just a boost controller, but I'm not ready to do that yet. As for boost controllers I'm leaning toward the Greddy profec-B. I know hks,blitz,and apexi also make electronic controllers, but I am looking for comments from people who have used them and whether they would go that route again. Scott

·
Registered
90 Posts
Your posts are all over the place.

Anyway, the elctronic boost controllers work pretty good if you want to set different boost levels dependant on RPM, or if you want multiple boost levels at the touch of a button for adjusing for things like sudden weather changes (slick streets), track use, a pasing boost setting, or something like that.
Being able to set boost level based on RPM is kinda nice for "traction" control. It's also nice if you are using to big of a turbo for your set up. With to big of a turbo you might get compressor surge at low rpm because your heads/motor can't flow the amount of air the turbo can at low rpm, but can keep up with the turbo at higher rpms.

I've never really felt the need for anything other than one boost level setting. Although tat will change when I install the Pectel. I'll use it to control boost, mainly based on rpm. Maybe based on traction as measured by wheel/driveshaft sensors. For those racing up a mountain, it will also regulate boost based on compressor wheel speed to keep from overspeeding the turbo as elevation changes and the air gets thinner. etc...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.